• CHS will administer the ACT to juniors Feb. 27

• The Coppell High School theater department will perform the Winter Play Feb. 16 - 19 in the CHS blackbox

• CISD schools will be closed for professional development on Feb. 19.

Cowboys soccer emerge winners from exciting game (with video)

Akif Abidi, Staff Writer

Karis Thomas
Coppell Cowboys senior defender George Ackling defends the goal as John Tyler Lions sophomore Johnathan Perez tries to make a goal during the second half of the game on Jan. 23 at Buddy Echols Field. The Coppell Cowboys defeated the John Tyler Lions 2-0.

Coppell boys soccer faced the John Tyler Lions in a thrilling match in the Cowboys’ second home match this season and left Buddy Echols Field with a 2-0 victory.

The game witnessed its first goal in the 40th minute by the Coppell Cowboys, just minutes before halftime by CHS senior Jacob Turman. The play was first initiated by a great cross by Marshal Board from the sideline, but it flew too close to the goalie, who deflected it to a patiently waiting Truman right inside the box. Seizing the moment, he banged the ball with a first touch into the top of the goal.

The second goal came in from a well-timed header from junior defender Jeremy Basso thanks to a great cross from the left side in very last seconds of the game, sealing Coppell’s well-earned victory.  

The match was exciting and full of quality soccer from the kickoff all the way to the final minutes, and saw some great plays and opportunities by the Cowboys coming from the middle, namely by the Coppell senior captain attacking center mid Wyatt Priest and Basso.

The last minutes before halftime saw Truman’s goal, pushing up Coppell to 1-0 and leaving the Lions eager for a goal to tie the game.

The second half was also filled with exciting moments and plays. The game turned a little aggressive as both teams battled for the win, leading to several fouls and some minor scuffles. One such foul was committed on Priest, which lead the referee to award a penalty to the Cowboys, but unfortunately, it didn’t amount to anything as Priest’s shot was saved by an acrobatic dive by the Lions’ keeper.

Karis Thomas
Coppell Cowboys senior forward Marshall Board makes a pass during the first half of the game on Jan. 23 at Buddy Echols Field. The Coppell Cowboys defeated the John Tyler Lions 2-0.

With relentless attacks by the Lions, Coppell began giving much more attention to their defense in the last 20 minutes of the second half. Attacks and plays began looking a lot more quick and urgent from the Lions, which often lead to quick breaks for the Cowboys. Though the Cowboys had the lead 1-0, a goal by the Lions was very much possible.

But unfortunately for the John Tyler Lions, all hopes of a win was diminished when Basso scored a splendid header in the 80’ minute, ending the game 2-0.

Both James Balcom, the head coach of Coppell Cowboys soccer, and Priest was satisfied with the team’s performance and the game’s outcome.

“Anytime you can get a win you got to be pleased. John Tyler fought hard and made it a grinding game, but it is good for to prepare for district knowing that we will have a lot of similar games.” Balcom said. “We got to fight harder, but it was good to see the effort we put to really work out in the end”

The Coppell Cowboys soccer play the Keller Indians in an away game on 26 Jan. Currently, with a record of 5-2-0 and a four game win-streak, the Coppell Cowboys still have the district championship in their sights.

Video by Karis Thomas