On the Spot: CHS students bundle up for historic cold week

Ale Ceniceros

Coppell High School students dress appropriately for today’s weather with a high of 36 degrees and a low of 22. According to WFAA Channel 8, it has been 22 years since DFW has been this cold.

Gracie Blackwell, Business Manager

It has been 22 years since North Texas has faced a week of weather this cold.

Since winter break ended, it is common that you will see many Coppell High School students in the hallways and classrooms with puffy winter jackets, hats and gloves.

On Monday night, Coppell ISD tweeted a statement regarding possible cancellation due to the inclement weather.

Although school was in session yesterday, the weather has definitely affected many CHS students and their school-related activities.

“It doesn’t make me want to go to school anymore because from the car to inside the school it’s really cold,” CHS senior Ryan Rutherford said. “Everyone’s driving now because everyone doesn’t want to walk to school so now it makes me wake up earlier and it’s a whole big ordeal of traffic.”

The weather has also affected sports teams, such as baseball and cross country, and have impacted the way their players practice. Additionally, all of the intended Cowgirls soccer games for yesterday were cancelled because of the drop in temperature.

“[The weather] definitely causes difficulties,” CHS senior cross country runner AJ Rothwell said. “We’ve been running a lot inside of the indoor, which is a really nice facility that we’ve been able to take advantage of at these times. [For] an entire team, it does cause difficulties and it makes it difficult for us to advance in our training and because of that we struggle to continue to train efficiently.”

On the flip side, some students have embraced 20-30 degree weather.

“It is pretty cold and we haven’t had that a lot so it’s not a big deal for me because I like cold weather and it’s a nice change,” CHS junior Kanishka Shah said.

Although it might be freezing now, the weather is looking to warm up in the coming days. According to WFAA Chief Meteorologist Pete Delkus, the deep freeze will end by this weekend.

To look at the Coppell’s forecast in the coming days, visit The Weather Channel.