Scoring a position at SMU

Senior+Wyatt+Priest%2C+after+scoring+a+goal+during+a+playoff+game+his+sophomore+year.+They+won+the+game+2-0+and+advanced+in+the+playoffs.+

Sidekick archives

Senior Wyatt Priest, after scoring a goal during a playoff game his sophomore year. They won the game 2-0 and advanced in the playoffs.

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

Since he was 4, Coppell High School senior Wyatt Priest had a soccer ball in between his feet. For the Cowboys soccer team,  he has led it to a Class 6A state championship and more recently committed to SMU.

“He’s one of our [CHS boys soccer team’s] complete players, he understands the game, he’s great on the ball; dribbling, shooting, passing,” Cowboys soccer coach James Balcom said.

Priest plays the position of attacking midfielder but you can see him on the field playing just about any position. Out of the many reasons that motivate Priest, his family plays a large role. Priest’s father played college soccer for Butler University and Priest wanted to follow in his footsteps.

From the many qualities that Priest possesses, his ability to play the game and score during the most inconvenient times is the most distinct.

“He reads the game very well, he’s a great competitor, he always has to win, and he always finds a way to score a goal no matter it being with his head or with his feet.” teammate on the CHS Varsity soccer team, George Ackling said.

Although, in the end it was up to him to push himself.

“The biggest thing is just me not giving up with it and I think the harder I worked, more opportunities opened up for me which eventually led to where I am today,” Priest said.

Priest will continue to lead the boys soccer season which begins Dec. 29 at home.