Securing a scholarship to TCU

Sophomore+Lauren+Kellet%2C+goalie+on+the+CHS+varsity+girls+soccer+team%2C+saving+a+ball+during+practice+on+December+1.+Lauren+committed+to+TCU+earlier+this+year.+

Nadia Scalzo

Sophomore Lauren Kellet, goalie on the CHS varsity girl’s soccer team, saving a ball during practice on December 1. Lauren committed to TCU earlier this year.

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

Hardworking, fast and competitive are some of the many adjectives Coppell High School soccer girls coach Ryan Dunlevy uses to describe sophomore goalkeeper Lauren Kellett.

Kellett, who orally committed to TCU on Oct. 31, plays on the CHS varsity soccer team and Sting club.

“It’s a thrill, to just be in goal, diving every which way,” Kellett said.

Kellett has been playing soccer for 10 years and the position of goalie full-time for seven. She has been playing with the same club coach, Beau Brown, for six years, who is also the the assistant coach at TCU.

“I heard about her before she even got [to CHS] as a player, so when she got here she already had expectations and she’s done a very good job meeting those expectations and even exceeding them this year,” Dunlevy said.

Not only does Kellet practice with the school team each morning, but she also practices outside of school almost every day of the week. Her most remarkable characteristic on the field is her speed and her ability to command the defense line.

“She tries to be the best player that she can be.” said Allison Scrivner, Kellet’s teammate on the CHS Varsity team.

Her inspiration and motivation does not just stop at her love for soccer, it extends to her dedication to her parents whom she did not want to burden with paying for her college.

“I’ve known for a long time that I have to work hard to get scholarship money like to help them [parents] pay and I just try to make it easier.” Kellett said.

Follow Anika on twitter @AnikaArutla