• Coppell High School will host an Academic Decathlon competition Jan 19

• Students have early release Jan 19

Sophomores kick off first year of Habitat for Humanity Club with supply drive

Coppell+High+School+sophomores+Shriya+Vanparia%2C+Dania+Nesar%2C+Trisha+Narwekar%2C+Harsha+Alexander%2C+Eva+Thee+and+Rifhat+Sindhi+wrap+donation+boxes+for+their+Habitat+for+Humanity+supply+drive+at+their+first+club+meeting+on+Thursday%2C+Nov.+9.+They+will+be+collecting+home+supplies+until+Dec.+15.+
Coppell High School sophomores Shriya Vanparia, Dania Nesar, Trisha Narwekar, Harsha Alexander, Eva Thee and Rifhat Sindhi wrap donation boxes for their Habitat for Humanity supply drive at their first club meeting on Thursday, Nov. 9. They will be collecting home supplies until Dec. 15.

Photo courtesy Habitat for Humanity Club

Anthony Cesario, Staff Writer

Through Dec. 15, the Habitat for Humanity Club at Coppell High School is holding a donation drive to provide supplies to people in need of a decent and affordable home.

Habitat for Humanity partners with people around the world to help them build or improve a house of their own. Its vision is a “world where everyone has a decent place to live”.

“I thought the Habitat for Humanity was a really interesting charity and I wanted to help the people that Habitat for Humanity is helping, especially because there is a lot of homelessness in Dallas,” sophomore club president Pranitha Kona said. “It’s also just a really rewarding experience to be able to help people with things like housing and supplies.”

In this supply drive, the club is collecting items to donate to people who have just bought a new house with the help of Habitat for Humanity in order to make their new house truly feel like home. Paint, cleaning and building supplies, as well as light bulbs, tools and small home decor are all acceptable donations.

“This time of year is about giving anyway, but it’s kind of fun that [the donation drive] is not canned food or something like that; it’s supplies,” club sponsor and GT/AP Physics teacher Stephanie Sloane said. “It gives a tangible opportunity to give back.”

Drop off locations for the donation drive are at the library, horseshoe and student services sections of the school.

“This club is making an impact on CHS students because the first step of making a difference is being well educated on the topic,” sophomore club vice president Tharani Muthukumar said. “By ensuring students know about life outside high school, students are inspired to start making a difference in their day to day lives, and start thinking of the bigger picture effect of their actions.”

The next meetings for the Habitat for Humanity club are Jan. 4 from 4:10 – 4:30 p.m. or Jan. 5 from 8:10 – 8:30 a.m. (if you cannot make it to the Jan. 4 meeting) in room B102.

Follow Anthony on Twitter @anthony_SK2017