Whitfield’s winning ways connect with students in relaxed classroom environment

Bren Fletcher

During sixth period, Honors Physics I teacher Evan Whitfield engages with students over horizontal and vertical projectile. Whitfield teaches his students in an inelastic way, and enjoys being with his students.

Akarsh Velagapudi, Staff Writer

Coppell High School Honors Physics I teacher Evan Whitfield is known to be humorous, friendly and empathetic, characteristics which helped him become The Sidekick’s November Teacher of the Issue.

Whitfield takes the time and effort to engage his students in what they are learning.

“I am appropriately relaxed with my students and try to make them have some fun in the class even though it’s still a serious class,” Whitfield said. “I want them to want to come to class in order to be engaged in the classroom and some relaxation in the class definitely helps them be engaged.”

He thinks there should be a balance in work and fun in a classroom environment in order for the students to be captivated by his teaching.

“Whenever you don’t understand a certain concept, he will make you understand by starting over and repeating a step by step process,” CHS junior Manisha Reddy said. “Whitfield pressurizes students to come to tutorials whenever they don’t understand something in order for them to completely comprehend the concept.Whitfield uses different teaching methods in order to comfort us when learning and allow us to gain the knowledge he is teaching.”

The attention he gives students shows the amount of encouragement and dedication he puts into his teaching. His character brings a sense of energy and humor to not only his students, but also his fellow colleagues.

“Whitfield is a very enthusiastic and ‘upbeat’ person,” Earth and Space Science and Astronomy teacher Angela Barnes said.“Whitfield really enjoys being around his students and having a good time in the classroom. He makes the classroom very engaging and fun along with being ‘off-the-wall’ and keep people active in the classroom.”

Congratulations to Mr. Whitfield from The Sidekick newspaper staff for being recognized as our Teacher of the Issue.