Swim team fostering friendly competition at Vaquero Battle meet

On+Nov.+10%2C+the+Coppell+High+School+swim+team+is+hosting+a+Vaquero+Battle+Swim+Meet+at+the+Coppell+YMCA.+The+Vaquero+Battle+will+be+a+friendly+competition+for+the+Golden+Cowboy+Trophy.+

Courtesy of Marieke Roberts

On Nov. 10, the Coppell High School swim team is hosting a Vaquero Battle Swim Meet at the Coppell YMCA. The Vaquero Battle will be a friendly competition for the Golden Cowboy Trophy.

Claire Clements, Staff Writer

The Vaquero Battle swim meet is intended to foster friendly competition amongst the Coppell High School swimmers and encourage them to get to know each other better, as well as get more practice in swimming.

Today, the CHS swim team is hosting a Vaquero Battle Team Championship at the Coppell YMCA, at 5:30 p.m. All teachers, students and parents are encouraged to attend.

“I’m really excited [about the swim meet],” CHSl freshman and varsity swimmer Jasmine Tbaba said, regarding the Vaquero Battle swim meet this Friday. “This is a great chance for us to get together, get to know each other better as a team, and have fun.”

Both varsity and junior varsity will be competing within the team separately, with grade level and gender competing against each other, such as JV freshman girls or varsity sophomore boys.

Each group will compete in the 50 butterfly, 50 backstroke, 50 breaststroke and 100 freestyle events

The Golden Cowboy Trophy will be awarded to the best freshman, best sophomore, best junior, best senior and the JV champion, based on the combined results of all four events.  

The CHS swim team has had a success-filled year so far, winning first place at their last event with a total of 358 points, on Oct. 28, for their Halloween Invite in Denton.

The next swim meet is tomorrow in The Colony, with varsity and JV1.