Plan for tomorrow, live today (not the other way around)

Kelly Wei

Students at Coppell High School are so focused on grades and GPA that their social lives start to suffer. As students start to feel isolated, their levels of stress can increase.

Anthony Cesario, Staff Writer

I love talking with my friends, but somehow every conversation ends up being about GPA, the “top 10 percent” or how school takes up too much of our time and how tired we are.

I understand the issue. Many of my friends have been brought up to accept nothing less than A’s in their classes, something that is ingrained in them from family and friends alike. Obviously, I am encouraged to work my hardest in school as well.

But when this motivation turns into everything from pulling all-nighters to complete a project to being frustrated with ourselves when we don’t get a 100 percent on every assignment, it is obvious that there is a problem — maybe within the structure of the education system – but also in the pressure we place on ourselves and the unattainable goals that we set for our own futures.

In short, life is not solely about academics.

First and foremost, high school is a time where we should be finding a healthy balance between academics and discovering who we are as people. There are more than 50 clubs available to all students at Coppell High School; by checking some of them out you may discover a passion for something you never knew you had.

Taking up a new hobby, sport or extracurricular activity is also a great way to relieve stress, stay in shape or make new friends with similar interests. If you are focused on school 24/7, you will miss out on many opportunities.

Also, we will not have our friends and family forever. Too often we forgo actual human, face-to-face interaction for another hour of studying. Friendships are important for our well being; a number of studies have shown positive effects on motivation, mood and even health of students.

This year, I have made it a goal to spend more time with friends and family, to form stronger bonds and create positive memories I will remember in the future. As I put in the effort to make these connections, I have noticed an improvement in my mood as well as motivation to stay in shape or even complete basic tasks.

Taking a break from schoolwork is a great way to relieve stress and develop more efficient study habits, as well as to improve concentration. Take a moment to sit quietly outside in nature and meditate (I know it sounds dumb, but once you realize that nobody is watching or judging you, it is much more relaxing). Watch a movie. Take a jog around the block or spend a half an hour exercising.

Moments like these, away from all distractions (especially your phone), provide much-needed brain breaks. Then, once you return to your schoolwork it will become easier to focus and retain information.

It is important to consider the future and try your best academically. Just know that your life doesn’t have to revolve around school. Live in the moment – you could be missing out on things you will never get to experience again.

Follow Anthony on Twitter @anthony_SK2017