Winter Olympics winding down

By Nathan Reck

With the Vancouver Olympics coming to a close on Sunday the American team can look back on a successful Olympic Games and look forward to a bright future four years from now. As of right now the American team holds a six medal lead in the medal count over Germany who has taken the total medal count in the past two winter games. Norway sits in third with 19, while the host country, Canada sits in fourth with 17.

As the Olympics wind down though there is still plenty of excitement left due largely to the men’s hockey finals on Sunday. As of right now the U.S. team remains unbeaten and is looking to shock the world by taking a surprise gold.

Looking back, though, this Olympics has provided plenty of excitement. Apolo Ohno set the record for individual medals won in the winter games. Lidsey Von gutted her way through a shin injury to claim a gold medal the women’s downhill and the men’s nordic combine team medaled for the first time in Olympic history, as they picked up three individual medals and a team silver.

All in all the Olympic Games have been widely successful for the United States as they look to take both the gold medal count and total count over the weekend.