Homemade cakes, trips play starring role in theater department’s annual silent auction

Disha Kohli

CHS Drama Club held their annual Revue and Auction Night on Sept.18. One of their specialities during the night is auctioning homemade desserts to the audience in order to raise money for the club.

Anika Arutla, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Coppell High School’s theater department held its annual Silent Auction to help raise money for its department. A total of 200 tickets were sold.

There were multiple items sold in the auction, including homemade cakes, tickets to plays, a four-day trip to Santa Fe, N.M. and much more.  

“It helps so much,” CHS senior Drama Club officer Katie Love said. “This is our biggest fundraiser. Anything we need for the rest of the year probably comes from this.”

The doors opened to the CHS Commons at  6 p.m. and dinner officially started at 7 p.m.. The dinner was accompanied by performances from students in the drama department. In addition, there were live auctions which included tickets to a Dallas Cowboys game.

“I bid on a necklace, a massage and on the plays here at the Coppell theater,” Drama Boosters Club member Julienne Morris said. “My husband bid on a golf event and a dinner. We’re really excited to be bidding on the cakes.”

The entire event was organized by the theater’s Booster Club moms.

“Our booster [members] mainly organize it, they take care of all of the goods that we bid on and desserts and everything,” CHS senior Drama Club president Maddie Purser said. “They coordinate and we’re just here to help.”

Money raised by the silent auction will help to pay for the majority of funds needed for the rest of the school year by the theater department.

“We fund a lot of what the theater department does that the school doesn’t give us the money for,” Booster Club vice president Lisa Johnson said. “Our primary focus is to support the theater program as much as we can.”

At the end of the night, a preview performance of upcoming “The Addams Family” musical was shown.

“I was very impressed by the whole setup and it’s obvious that they are very good at what they’re doing and they’re very organized,” Marris said. “They have a very interesting wide variety of things to bid on.”

Coppell High School senior Drama Club president Maddie Purser thanks Drama Booster Club vice president Lisa Johnson for planning out this night. The Drama Boosters plan this event each year in order to raise money for costumes, props, set designs and other components of the musical of the year.
Disha Kohli
Coppell High School senior Georgia Cole sings “A Fine, Fine Line” on Saturday evening in the CHS commons at theater department’s silent auction. In “The Addams Family” musical, Cole will be playing the saloon girl/dance captain.