Cowgirls take out Pearce in district opener

The Coppell Cowgirls come together on the field during the second inning of Friday night’s District 9-6A opener against Richardson Pearce. The Cowgirls defeated the Lady Mustangs, 8-5.

Meara Isenberg, Editor-in-Chief

With a tie score in the bottom of the third inning, Coppell third baseman Madi Traver stepped up to the plate and tripled far into the outfield, bringing two girls home and solidifying the team’s lead for the rest of the game.

The Coppell softball team played strongly in its first District 9-6A game of the season Friday night with hits from Traver and utility infielder Sami Thomas, pulling out a 8-5 win over Richardson.

“I feel pretty good,” Traver said. “I feel like JJ Pearce is one of if not the toughest team in our district, and so it feels good to get a win off of them early.”

The game began with obvious energy from both teams, with both scoring twice in the first inning. Pearce scored two runs, which was met by Coppell after hits by Traver and Logan Kegley drove in two runs for the Cowgirls.

The score remained tied at 2 until the third inning, when Pearce hit back, scoring three runs in the top of the frame. Traver tripled and then scored, and a hit by Kegley brought two more runs in for the Cowgirls.

We have the best pitcher in the district that we are playing against, she’s very very good, and the fact that our team hit off of her showed that we can hit off of anyone,” Traver said.

Coppell High School right fielder Mia Hermans swings in the third inning of Friday night’s District 9-6A opener against JJ Pearce. The Cowgirls defeated the Lady Mustangs, 8-5.

In the top of the fourth inning, no runs were allowed by Coppell pitcher Nora Rodriguez, so the score remained 5-5. The Cowgirls followed with hits from Traver, Thomas, and catcher Kaitlyn O’Quinn, bringing in three runs and securing a 8-5 lead.

Both teams pitchers locked down the remainder of the game, including Rodriguez, who held onto the three-run lead.

“I feel defensive wise we played really well,” Coppell softball coach Mike Dyson said. “We made a few mishaps there defensively, Nora’s struggle in the first probably two innings or three innings, but the key is how you finish, and that’s what she did- she finished really well.

“It’s always great, a win, especially the first district win, is really important. We have to be able to do that, and we came back, played a good game. It’s very exciting.”

The Cowgirls will play their second district game on Tuesday at 7 p.m., playing against Lake Highlands at home.

“I think we played really well,” Traver said. “There’s obviously a few things that we need to work on and we will continue to work on, but we worked incredibly hard during the offseason, and I think that’s showing in the way that we’re playing and really starting to pay off.”