Fourteen artists advance to state

Junior Rachel Lee's beach concept drawing for VASE that is advancing to the state competition in April.

By Julia Kim

VASE (Visual Arts Scholastic Event), a contest sponsored by the Texas Art Education Association, held its Region 10 South event on Feb. 6 at Mesquite High School.

Eighteen works of art from 14 students from CHS are advancing to state in April. Seniors Jeewon Choi, Sam Levin, juniors Chelsea Dollar, Rachel Lee, Jiyun Park, Yeelim Park, sophomores Martin Kalev, Carolyn Mason, Hasika Sarathy and Christina Wagner received a superior rating of 4 and will continue to state. Seniors Bryce Heatherly and Quinn Zhang, junior Soobin Lee and freshman Austin Huens have two works that advanced to state.

“All the students that made it to state are some of the most talented kids at this school,” AP art teacher Tamera Westervelt said. “VASE is one of the most valuable art contests because it includes an interview process which validates the whole thing.”

On the day of the contest, each individual is interviewed by a certified juror who evaluates the student’s work based on a rubric and their understanding of the processes behind the development of their artwork. The interview process is composed of questions regarding how and why the artwork was created and personal expression.

The jurors determine the effectiveness of each work at demonstrating originality of concept, technical expertise, understanding of TEKS and interpretation of the student’s stated intent. Students can receive a rating of superior (4), excellent (3), average (2) or below average (1) and those who receive 4s are awarded with a medal and may be invited to the state VASE competition.

“I was surprised [when I was told I made it to state] because I never had two works that advanced,” senior Bryce Heatherly said. “One was a self portrait; it was actually me playing the violin. The other was a picture of my friend Natalie.”

At this event, students are provided the opportunity to compete against other students at similar levels in art. There are a total of four divisions; division I for students with one or less than one credit in art; division II for students with less than two credits but more than one; division III for students with less than three credits but more than two; and division IV for students with more than three credits in art and students in AP or IB.

“I wanted to get my work out for others to see,” junior Rachel Lee said. “I set up a personal still life [that included] a very old film camera, a shirt from Florida, Polaroid film, shells, sunglasses and my hand. What seem to be just objects actually portray my travel to a beach in Florida.”

At the state event in April, the process does not include an interview and is based solely on a state rubric. The “Gold Seal” recognition is the top state award presented to exemplary works of art selected by the state jury panel. Junior Yeelim Park is advancing to state for the third time and won the “Gold Seal” as a freshman.

“[The piece] I submitted in freshman year was a self-portrait in what was a mixture of Korea and America,” Park said. “I love art because there’s no right answer.”

1