Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Ready, Set, Teach! students feel the love during Valentine’s Day Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Rebecca Fowler
    Sidekick Staff Writer
    Emily Mankin
    KCBY

Generally, Valentine’s Day is a hit-or-miss holiday.  It is great for those with significant others, but not so enjoyable for singles.

However, students involved in Ready, Set, Teach! have the opportunity to really enjoy Feb. 14 this year.  By watching kids they have come to know and love experience Valentine’s Day the way they did years ago.

Getting to watch little ones soak in the holidays is a special treat to high schoolers who often come to take these traditions for granted.

“I remember when we used to make shoeboxes into Valentine’s mail boxes and cut a little slot in the top where everyone gives their valentines to each other,” senior Ready, Set, Teach! student at Wilson elementary Rebekah Yates said.   “My students are making them this year, and it’s really cute.  It brings back memories.”

The children’s innocent love of gift giving and receiving is refreshing to many of the students at CHS who have not gotten to take part in a Valentine’s card exchange since fifth grade or before.

“This time of year is really fun,” senior Haley Wilson said.  “They write me notes and one student told me they’re going to bring me a gift.”

The assistant student teachers also love being able to see the kids’ faces light up when they receive little cards and candies.  Some high school students have already had the pleasure of getting heartfelt presents as well.

“One of my students gave me a box of chocolates, and it made my day,” Yates said.

Not only do the Ready, Set, Teach! students get to take part in the gift-giving aspect of Valentine’s Day at elementary school, but they also get to enjoy the parties.

“The party last year was really fun,” senior Shelby Crow said.  “Moms came in and catered Chick-fil-a, and the kids really enjoyed it.”

Many of the classes are incorporating Valentine’s themes and symbols into school assignments, as elementary classes are often prone to do.

“I am cutting out hearts for the students to use for a school project,” Yates said.  “It’s so fun.”

With colorful classrooms decked in red and pink, hearts and cupids, this cold February weekend will surely be a special one for CHS Read, Set, Teach! students.

“Valentine’s is fun at the elementary schools,” Crow said.  “Every holiday is a big deal there.”