Day in-the-life of a Starbucks barista

Riley Galloway, Staff Writer

Many would agree high school alone is a lot of work. However, the long tedious days are not enough for some Coppell High School students, like junior Christine Foley who is a part-time Starbucks barista.

Finding time to balance the two can be difficult, but Foley remains ahead of the game.

“I have learned to manage my time in a manner that is very efficient,” Foley said. “The demands of school and work leave me very little free time, but I am constantly getting better at what I do because I am always busy.”

Being a barista consists of making a variety of coffee-based drinks for customers. The work can be repetitive, but is very beneficial and you can receive many opportunities in the long run.

“I have learned a number of things working as a barista,” said Foley, who works at the Starbucks in Coppell on Denton Tap.  “Not only things about coffee and how to make drinks that people enjoy, but how to work with people of different ages and backgrounds. My work crew is very diverse and I am grateful for the opportunities that come with working as a team.”

Working part-time can be very fun and entertaining. While it is a lot of work, the memories and joy Foley receives is definitely worth it.

“My favorite part of being a barista is being able to meet so many people and bond over a common interest – coffee,” Foley said. “My coworkers and customers have become great friends and I am so thankful for those relationship.”

In 2014, about 22 percent of high schoolers had a job, according to Concordia Online Education. Although having a job does require a lot of time, it can be very useful in the distant future.

According to Family Education, working a part-time job as a high school student is a very productive experience resulting in several benefits which include managing time, responsibility and dealing with adults.

CHS junior Ryan Gordon also worked as a barista for the Starbucks located inside Tom Thumb. Working in a store within a store can be even more challenging. Typically, these stores are smaller and require less employees. Gordon often worked alone making the drinks himself.

“When it gets busy, you have no one else to rely on because you are the only person there to make drinks,” Gordon said. “However, practice makes perfect. After I practiced making all of the drinks, it was second nature. And that can be applied to many things in life.”

Starbucks manager Jim Lusk hires students based off their communication skills and ability to work.

“Generally, I like to see if the person can communicate clearly, easy to talk to and if they talk clearly with me,” Lusk said. “I feel if they communicate clearly to me, then that is how they will talk to their customers.”

Communication skills are very important when holding a role as a barista. Everyday you have to talk to customers, being able to do it well gives you an advantage.

Although, it may be a lot of work it is definitely worth the responsibility it comes with. Having a job while in school helps you manage your time properly snd shows you what it is like to make adult-like decisions.