Another loss to the rock community: Glenn Frey

TNS

An image of the late Glenn Frey is displayed on a video screen as recording artists Bernie Leadon, from left, Timothy B. Schmit, Jackson Browne, Joe Walsh, Steuart Smith and Don Henley onstage take a bow following their performance at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards on Monday, Feb. 15, 2016, at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. (Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Eric Cashimere, Staff Writer

With the deaths of revered entertainers with names such as David Bowie and Alan Rickman,

Jan. 18 took another life. Glenn Frey, the founding member of the rock band The Eagles, died from complications from pneumonia, rheumatoid arthritis and ulcerative colitis.

Glenn Frey was born November 6, 1948 in Detroit, Michigan and studied piano at a young age. He switched to play guitar and started to play in different and various bands such as The Four of Us and Heavy Metal Kids.

He met drummer Don Henley and they formed a rock band called The Eagles. Frey sung lead vocals on many of the Eagles hits like “Take it Easy”, “How Long” and “Peaceful Easy Feeling”.

The Eagles broke up in 1980 Frey went solo to record hits such as “The Heat is On”.

In 1994 the Eagles reunited and have continued to tour since then and Frey’s last public appearance with the band was on July 29, 2015 at Bossier City, La.

While playing with the Eagles, Frey won six Grammy awards and five American music awards. The Eagles were also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

His legacy has most certainly made an impact here at Coppell High School.

“It was a tragic loss for the rock community,” Coppell High School sophomore Ali Mithani said. “He was indefinitely one of the best vocalists of that period and was far ahead of his time as a musician.”

“When I heard the news that he was gone, I was disappointed to find out another rock legend has passed,” Coppell Sophomore Joseph Patterson said.

When a rock icon passes away, it takes a big piece away from the history of the genre and that piece will surely be missed.