Ginnell expresses individuality through photography

Riley Galloway, Staff Writer

In today’s technologically advanced time, people everywhere are taking up photography due to the easy access of cameras and the ability to share your photos online.

Photography allows you to express who you are and what you are interested in with the snap of a photo.

Coppell High School senior Emma Ginnell has been in photography ever since she was young because it allows her to express herself.

Photo Courtesy of Braden Charles.
Photo Courtesy of Braden Charles.

“My favorite thing about photography is the power it gives you to express yourself,” Ginnell said. “Whether you are taking creative photos or assigned photos, there is always a way to add your personality into the pictures.”

Ginnell is currently a photographer for CHS Round-Up yearbook, and has been in yearbook ever since middle school.

“I have been interested in photography ever since I was young because my dad studied it, but joining middle school yearbook was when I really made it my passion,” Ginnell said. “I got my first professional camera in eighth grade and have been shooting ever since.”

In every photo Ginnell captures, it reflects her passion for photography. You can view her photos via Instagram, @EmmaRosePhoto. Ginnell photographs various things, alternating from the outdoors to self portraits, or senior portraits.

“Photography is important to me because it is an outlet I can use to express myself,” Ginnell said. “Being behind a camera just makes me feel comfortable because it is like I am looking through my own viewfinder.”

Not only is photography a great hobby, it is also a wonderful way to appreciate the world. Seeing the aesthetic the world has to offer, and being able to capture it one moment at a time is enjoyable.

“My advice to anyone who is wanting to shoot good pictures would be to just go for it,” Ginnell said. “Often, we get to caught up in getting the perfect shot with technical aspects, we miss the best genuine picture opportunities.”

Ginnell also does photography with CHS senior Lainey Berlin. Ginell and Berlin both became interested in photography around sixth grade.

“Emma and I started taking pictures together from a really young age, probably back in middle school,” Berlin said. “Definitely in high school we have grown together with photography, she has taught me a lot and I have taught her a lot, we compliment each other.”

CHS Round-Up yearbook advisor Sallyanne Harris has been teaching Ginnell for the past three years.

“I have been a teacher for fourteen years, I have been at Coppell for four years and I have known Emma for three years,” Harris said. “She started yearbook one as a sophomore.”

Ginnell has won many awards for her photos and has been featured in every Round-Up yearbook for three years.

“Emma has won state awards from Interscholastic League Press Conference, and Association of Texas Photography Instructors.”