Igniting a passion for math by taking a look from a different perspective

Tanya Raghu, Staff Writer

Coppell High School geometry teacher John Watkins reviews right triangles with practice work on Dec. 9. Watkins started his career teaching literature, history, theology and logic with his philosophy degree from Baylor University but soon learned he enjoyed teaching his favorite subject more.
Coppell High School geometry teacher John Watkins reviews right triangles with practice work
on Dec. 9. Watkins started his career teaching literature, history, theology and logic with his philosophy degree from Baylor University but soon learned he enjoyed teaching his favorite subject more.

Even after following his calling to pursue a liberal arts degree, John Watkins found himself in the field of mathematics along with embracing his passion to teach.

After graduating from Baylor University, Watkins immediately started a career in teaching literature, history, theology and logic with his philosophy degree but after school, he would tutor students in math and realized that it was the highlight of his day.

“Math has always been my favorite subject,” Watkins said. “I started out in college in engineering and math but I got really bored so I decided to something different.”

Dedicating his time to allow students to question everything, Watkins strives to make every student understand the challenging aspects of high school math.

“He is able to connect with the students on a more personal level and make math less boring,” Coppell High School sophomore Sarah Powell said.

Known for his charm to establish a laidback tone in his classroom, his students rarely feel disinterested in the tedious world of math.

“I try to set a lighthearted and humorous environment if and when possible but still structured,” Watkins said. “You can ask my kids. I try to tell a lot of jokes, even if they are not good jokes. I just try to light it up because you know math can be a little dry.”

Preaching the importance of collaboration, Watkins is supportive of discussion between peers when solving class work materials in order to foster individual thinking and problem solving skills, crucial for the real world.

Students have agreed that teachers that put themselves in the students’ shoes are the most effective. In the classroom, Watkins is not only portrayed as a teacher, but a friend as well.

“[The class] is laid back but he also has strict rules,” Powell said. “If we respect him then he will respect us back.”

By interpersonally relating to students, the trust and respect abundant in Watkins’ classroom fosters an environment where students are assured that mistakes are allowed and questions are encouraged.

Watkins was drawn to Coppell because his wife, graduated from CHS in 2004. This year is his second year at CHS and seventh year in the field of education. Outside of school, he enjoys the community events and is often at Andy Brown Park.

“I had some amazing professors and teachers in high school that taught me how to think and get that lightbulb moment that changed my life,” Watkins said. “I wanted to help people see what my teachers helped me see.”
Congratulations to the Teacher of the Issue, Mr. John Watkins.