Get into the holiday spirit with these classic Christmas song covers (with video)

By Mallorie Munoz

Managing Editor

@munoz_mallorie

Coppell High School choir seniors Sydney Legee and Maha Haque (left to right) sing Joy To The World in the choir room on Dec. 9. The Madrigals performed the song at the Carrollton community nativity scene on Dec 3.

When it comes to Christmas music, it is hard to beat the classics. These songs have been with us our entire lives in our cars, commercials and shopping malls. With that being so, there are many covers of these classics that are worthy of attention.

After asking around, and compiling a list of Coppell High School students’ favorite Christmas classics, I have created a playlist of my personal favorite covers of these same songs.

“Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by Sam Smith – This song becomes incredibly intimate and emotional as soon as Sam Smith takes over. His gentle falsetto allows the lyrics to resonate with the listener, creating a sense of vulnerability. The lyrics of the song are warm and lighthearted, but after listening to Smith’s take on it, it almost feels melancholy.

“Silver Bells” by She & Him – Yuletide and ukulele are not generally associated with one another, but after hearing Zooey Deschanel’s unique vocals over the soft hum of a ukelele, I suddenly want to hear every Christmas song replaced with the uke.

“Last Christmas” by Jimmy Eat World – Topping Wham!’s original is hard to do. Instead, lead singer Jim Adkins puts his own twist on the song and brings a more soft rock sound to the table. If you’re looking for early 2000s alternative rock meets mid-80s Christmas single, this is the cover for you.

“Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)” by Snow Club – This cover does not sound far off from the original. That being said, maybe it is best to not too far alter the classics. Snow Club places an indie filter over the song originally from 1963, and, in my opinion, does it a favor in doing so. This song may not stray too far from its original sound, but the freshness of the vocals is noticeable after giving it a listen.

“The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)” by *NSYNC – Oh yeah, this Christmas album is one of my favorites. *NSYNC has taken this song originally by Nat King Cole and given it an R&B vibe. This song is sure remind you of Justin Timberlake’s ramen noodle hair days.

“Joy To The World” by Sufjan Stevens – A Sufjan Stevens song following *NSYNC may make for an odd playlist, but it would be wrong to leave out such a great number. Stevens’ rendition is light-hearted and, well, joyful. With gentle bells ringing underneath his smooth falsetto, Stevens is sure to win you over.

Once Christmas has passed, my favorite song on this playlist will finally come into play.

“What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve?” by The Head And Heart – This is my absolute favorite cover of this song. The harmonies and folksy instrumentals make a great combination. Although it is considered a holiday song, I could listen to this one all year long.
And there you have it, a smorgasbord of music carefully picked to get you in the holiday spirit.