KCBY wins Pacemaker; highest honor in high school journalism

By: Tanya Raghu

@tanya_raghu

Nearing the conclusion of a lengthy awards ceremony in the ballroom at the Dolphin Hotel in the Walt Disney World Resort, KCBY-TV adviser Irma Kennedy heard words she will not likely forget.

“You kind of hope that they see what you saw and when they did, I remember shaking,” Kennedy said.

Often referred to as the “Pulitzer Prize” of high school journalism, the National Scholastic Press Association Pacemaker award is the most prestigious honor in the field of high school media.

“Everyone was jumping up and down and running to get the award, there were tears, it was a very emotional experience,” Wecker said.

Shows edited, produced, filmed and planned solely by students have to meet the marks of a team of professional judges who evaluate shows on production value, coverage, storytelling, editing and leadership.

On Nov. 15 during the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Orlando, Fla., Coppell High School’s very own student broadcasting station, KCBY-TV won a Broadcast Pacemaker, the first in the program’s history. KCBY-TV is one of three programs nationwide to win a Pacemaker in the weekly broadcast division.

KCBY was nominated along with six others in the nation, being the only school in Texas this year, and a first time honor for the program, nothing could make the award more sweet.

Kennedy remembers thinking that winning a Pacemaker would be a great goal to have but only submitted a show two years ago, bringing prompt results.

“I’m really proud of what the kids were able to do, it was a solid show and it’s nice to have that confirmation from somebody else,” Kennedy said.

Coppell High School KCBY-TV received the 2015 Pacemaker award on Nov. 15 during the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Orlando, Fla. The Pacemaker is the highest honor in the field of high school journalism. Photo courtesy of KCBY-TV

KCBY senior program director Nick Wilson felt as if winning the award was a feasible goal after scouting the competition.

“I was a little bit nervous about if we would actually get first place and win the Pacemaker but it was really cool when we did,” Wilson said.

Stories featured during the show included: horse therapy for a special needs child, “Lion King” play adaptation at Coppell Middle School West (CMSW), Cowgirls soccer winning the state championship and a feature on Cam McDaniels, a CHS alumnus and Dallas Cowboys rookie camp participant.

The show topped off with a inspirational clip highlighting CHS students embracing their passions and encouraged other students to do the same.

“…for [CHS] its just another feather in our hat but the bigger picture is that [KCBY] will get the recognition that they deserve,” said Melissa Arnold, CHS assistant principal “This shows everything we have always known.”

Senior program director Kiley Wecker thinks the award is not only earned from the dedication of the students.

“We are so lucky to have a teacher who has put so much in to the program to make it great,” Wecker said.

Changes to the KCBY program were made about three years ago to make the program nationally recognized.

“Our production value is excellent; we are very fortunate that the school supports us tremendously,” Kennedy said. “We have begun a shift that the story has be as good as the production value if not better.”

Wilson agrees that the technical craft of professionalism has been perfected but the program has learned to master the art of reporting and finding the personal stories.

Along with the Pacemaker award, Wilson and 2015 graduate Hailey Hess were nominated for their work on “Spirit Horse” for the NSPA Best Broadcast Feature Wilson holds himself up to high expectations as his piece was awarded fourth place.

Winning the Pacemaker is one of the most momentous events in KCBY’s program history and highlights of KCBY staffers high school careers.
Take a look at the Pacemaker winning show of KCBY here.

Coppell High School senior Nick Wilson receives an award on behalf of himself and CHS alumni Hailey Hess on Nov. 15 during the JEA/NSPA Fall National High School Journalism Convention in Orlando, Fla., placing fourth for Best Broadcast Feature for their work on “Spirit Horse”. Photo courtesy of KCBY-TV.