CHS teachers and students work together to ‘lose it’

Junior Michael English practices with CHS librarian Lexanne Seifert, his trainee. Enlish and Seifert are one of the many students-teacher pairs part of KCBY's new reality show, "CHS Loses It". Photo by Aditi Shrikant.

By Mary Whitfill

Students are giving back to teachers and staff with a new KCBY reality show, CHS Biggest Losers. Students have volunteered to serve as personal trainers for any staff member who expresses interest in the free exercise service, giving athletic students the perfect chance to share what they love to do with the teachers they spend the day with.

Each student volunteer has committed to 30 minutes per week, either before or after school. The activities will take place in the turf room, field house, track, weight room, gyms or in the stadium. Each workout place and time is to be determined by the student and staff member and will include a cardiovascular and weight workout once a week. 

“On Tuesday afternoons I email Mrs. Stout a workout schedule because I can’t be there in person,” senior Sarah Margaret Pittman said. “My coach recommended I get involved in the program and it seemed like a great way to get involved with the teachers. “

KCBY will make CHS Biggest Losers a mini-series to be aired separately from the regular segment, but each annual show will include a short teaser. The series is expected to run for four months with the first show being aired this month.

The NBC television show, The Biggest Loser, centers on overweight contestants

attempting to lose weight for a cash prize. There are different variations of the Biggest

Loser around the world and each country has made its own adaptation to the show.

Despite the many variations the show is always consistent with the goal: competing to see which contestant can lose the most weight in order to become the biggest loser.

In 2009, the show was nominated for the Favorite Competition Show award at the 36th People’s Choice Award.

Although the weight of the contestants will not be revealed on CHS Biggest Losers, the show will report each participant’s weight loss or gain.

“I sit a lot in my job,” horseshoe receptionist Rita Lucero said. “I would like to get back into my physically fit walking schedule.”

Each contestant has a separate reason for wanting to join the program. Some just want to get in shape, while others want to be in shape for special evenings and events coming up.

“My daughter is getting married” career and tech teacher Becky Richards said. “I’d like to lose weight and be more physically fit for the wedding.”

Some of the teachers who had originally committed to the program have had to drop out for personal reasons, leaving the KCBY staff members with less to work with while filming the show.

“I am having to back out of the workouts because I now have to attend physical therapy two times a week,” English teacher Susan Creighton said.

The exercise service is free, but to participate in a drawing at the end of the program, each participant must pay $20. For every pound each participant loses, they will receive a ticket to be placed in a drawing that will take place at the end of the contest. The more tickets each person has entered into the drawing, the more likely they are to get selected. The person whose name is picked will win all of the money submitted at the beginning of the contest.

Editor’s Clarification: Teachers in CHS Loses It! program do not have to pay any money. It is a free program, whereas Biggest Loser Wannabees, teachers pay $20 to enter, workout on their own and for each pound they lose, their names are entered into a jackpot for a one time drawing.