Hop on the vinyl express at Josey Records

Eric Cashimere, Staff Writer

Josey Records is located in Dallas and features all genres of music. The store is locally owned and promotes local artists and bands. Photo by Mallory Munoz.
Josey Records is located in Dallas and features all genres of music. The store is locally owned and promotes local artists and bands. Photo by Mallorie Munoz.

FARMERS BRANCH – With the growth of the vinyl record industry, Josey Records will be hard to miss when traveling down the newly reconstructed Interstate 635.

Josey Records owner Waric Cameron originally wanted to open a boutique, but when he and his friends discussed opening a record store, that idea seemed the best of the two.

“Dallas had no music in this fashion,” Cameron said.

When people walk through the doors of Josey Records, they are instantly hit with endless wall to wall space, and an endless barrage of vinyl, 45s and everything else in between.

In one corner sits a number of turntables, free for anyone to use if they would like to play a record from the shelves. In others, lie T-shirts and cheap records, along with places to sit and peruse music magazines.

In the 1970s, vinyl records were what iTunes is now. Josey Records has attempted to bring that culture back to North Texas.

According to the Dallas Observer, Josey Records was voted number one best vinyl records store in Dallas.

For Cameron, he thinks vinyl records will always hold an antique essence that cannot be changed with time.

“I don’t think [vinyl records] will ever become mainstream,” Cameron said.

There is a reason for vinyl record resurgence in the last couple years, as Cameron explains.

“It’s the physical aspect of it; you take the vinyl, take the record out, put it into a turntable and listen to it,” Cameron said. “That’s what I think kids are now starting to catch on to, it’s really cool. It forces you to pay attention.”

The clientele at Josey Records ranges from 18 to 65 years old.

“Music lovers have no age,” Cameron said.  

The younger generation has now started to catch onto this “cool” movement happening in Dallas. From observation, younger kids came to Josey Records with their parents, wandering the aisles with wonder filled in their eyes.

“The young generation is starting to realize that they aren’t getting anything for their money when they get music online or when using iTunes,” Cameron said. “Vinyl is getting something for your money.”

High school kids brisked the doors of Josey Records as well, talking about various bands and whether they were going to buy something or not. Young adults, middle aged men and women, even pre-teens stopped by too. It just shows how music can reach people at so many different levels regardless of age.

Overall, coming to Josey records is an experience. When you walk the aisles, you are walking through an art gallery of music history. Everybody there is in their own world, taking a time machine back to the 80s.

Josey Records has perfected the art of buying, selling and displaying vinyl records, keeping alive such a classic form of music by passing it on to younger generations and hopefully, generations to come.