Your guide to ‘How to Get Away With’ wasting your week nights

Graphic by Austin Banzon

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

Graphic by Austin Banzon
Graphic by Austin Banzon

With school back in full swing, students and teachers alike could use something to get their mind off the stress. With fall season premieres bringing back your favorites and some new shows, it is the perfect time to get pulled in by captivating characters and action-packed plots. Below is a list of the top anticipated new shows and some returning series that you can look forward to this season.

New Shows:

“Scream Queens”

Created by Ryan Murphy, the show combines the eeriness of his work on “American Horror Story” and Murphy’s comedic side shown in “Glee” to create “Scream Queens”. The series follows a masked killer stalking a college sorority. The cast features all-star actors Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ariana Grande, Keke Palmer and Lea Michele. Follow along Roberts and Curtis feud over the sorority, while The Red Devil murderer starts running loose on campus.

Premiered Sept. 22 on FOX. Watch Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

“Code Black”

Everyone should have a medical procedural drama in their television arsenal. With “Code Black”, you are following a fictional adaptation of a documentary of the same name. The series is even set in the same hospital, where the amount of patients being admitted outnumbers the resources needed to treat them. That situation is called “Code Black”. Expect intensity in this fast-paced drama.

Premiered Sept. 30 on CBS. Watch Wednesdays at 9 p.m.

“Blindspot”

An international plot explodes as a woman is discovered naked in Times Square, covered in tattoos. Add to the mystery, FBI Agent Kurt Weller name is tattooed across her back. They realize that each tattoo on her body is a crime to solve and it will lead them closer to the truth about her. Co-produced by Greg Berlanti, who also is responsible for The CW channel’s hits “The Flash” and “Arrow”, this crime drama is sure to be one to watch.

Premiered Sept. 21 on NBC. Watch Mondays at 9 p.m.

Returning Shows:

“How to Get Away with Murder”

After a cliffhanger ending to season one, the Keating five are back and with a new case. If you have not seen season one, it is available on Netflix. The show follows attorney and professor Annalise Keating and her five college interns as they get caught up in lies, betrayal, and you guessed it, murder. It is styled differently than most shows, for each episode begins with a flashback. The show starts off with the crime and flashback and then transitions to to the events leading up to it. The suspense really draws you in, and Emmy Award winner, leading lady Viola Davis captures your attention and leaves you wanting more.

Season two premiered Sept. 24 on ABC. Watch Thursdays at 9 p.m.

“Supernatural”

This action packed show has been on the air for 10 years so if you have not heard of this cult classic, you are falling behind. “Supernatural” has the perfect balance of comedy, fantasy and action. The story follows Dean and Sam Winchester who follow their father’s footsteps, hunting down supernatural creatures such as monsters, demons and angels, all while trying to save innocent people. The brotherly bond they have is infectious, and if you do not believe me when I say it is a must see, just look at the 10 seasons that have already aired, nine of which are available on Netflix.

Season 11 premieres Wednesday on The CW at 8 p.m.

“American Horror Story: Hotel”

Another hit by Ryan Murphy, the “American Horror Story” series goes into its fifth season with the upcoming premiere. Each “American Horror Story” season revolves around a different plot line, and this year is focused on a haunted hotel. This season is focused on a hotel in Los Angeles that is brought to attention to homicide detective (Bentley), and you can expect it to be filled the suspense of monsters under your bed and creatures going bump in the night. Matt Bomer, Wes Bentley and even Lady Gaga are joining returning cast members like Sarah Paulson, Angela Bassett, Kathy Bates and Evan Peters. Previous seasons are available to stream on Netflix, so now is your chance to get a first look on what you can expect this season.

Season four premieres Wednesday on FX at 9 p.m.