Homecoming dance brings mixed feelings

By Chisom Ukoha
staff writer
@uchisom3

The 2015 Coppell High School Homecoming dance was held at the Embassy Suites in Grapevine, a new location after last year’s dance at the Dallas Market Hall.

With Dallas Market Hall already booked on the date of this year’s dance, the school had to look elsewhere.

“I didn’t like the new venue,” senior Megan Dones said. “I didn’t like that they kept all the lights on this time. It seemed like people felt really uncomfortable to actually go and dance, so everyone was just standing around. I did not find it fun.”

Many attendees felt the same way as Dones, and did not like this Homecoming dance as much as in previous years. Most did not like the music, thought that Embassy Suites was too small, or thought there were too many lights.

“For a senior Homecoming, I don’t think it lived up to my expectations,” senior Maddie Giddens said. “I think that last year’s was a lot more fun.”

About half of attendees were sitting and socializing at the tables, and the other half were on the dance floor, yet the dance floor was still overcrowded.

The music had to be stopped multiple times because the dance floor was so crowded that students were bumping into the DJ’s table. A fight even broke out during the last song, because one student accidentally pushed into another student during the commotion of attendees trying to dance on the dance floor.

The only time that the dance floor was not overcrowded was when the DJ played “Let it Go” from the movie Frozen, which students found annoying.

“I liked Dallas Market Hall better,” Giddens said. “My group left early. A bunch of us just stopped dancing because the music was not the best. I think a new playlist and location would be nice.”

Last year’s student council sponsor, Reagan Richardson, said efforts were made to return to Dalas Market Hall when booking last year the venue was not available.

Photo by Alexandra Dalton.
Photo by Alexandra Dalton.

“Unfortunately the Dallas Market Center was booked already, when we set our date, and since we were unable to change our date, we had to look for other venues,” Reagan Richardson said. “We actually looked at five or six different places and we looked at what they had to offer. We tried to pick a place that was safe for kids, and close to campus. We also looked what they had to offer, like ice cream, photo booth and appetizers.”

Last year, there was free food and water, as well as a photobooth. A new addition to this venue that students responded positively to was the ice cream that was provided. Students went to get ice cream multiple times over the timespan of the dance.

“Homecoming was OK,” senior Cory Clark said. “The new venue wasn’t as good as last year and they need a better DJ, but it was alright. We’re not asking for much.”