New coaching staff brings life to basketball team

Kathryn Rudd, Staff Writer

It is no secret that the girls basketball program has never been in the limelight when it comes to Coppell High School sports. However, with a completely fresh coaching staff, this might be the year.

New Coppell girls basketball coach Kristin Davis is in her ninth year of teaching and coaching.

“A job opened up and I heard from a friend it’s a great place to be,” Davis said.

She has been involved in programs in Sunnyvale, Temple and Northwestern High Schools in Texas.

There is a new attitude on the court. Davis and assistant Courtney Christenson, the junior varsity I coach, along with Keith Pierce, Tommy Sills and Colleen Fex are, according to Davis
“putting an emphasis on everyone”.

“It’s great. All five of us are really enthusiastic,” Davis said. “There is a completely new attitude on the court.”

Christenson shares the excitement about the future of Cowgirls basketball.

“We’re a humble group of coaches,” Christenson said. “We’re looking looking forward to the girls experiencing small successes in games that ultimately lead to big successes.
If we experience early success, I feel like the sky[‘s] the limit.

New Coppell Cowgirls head girls varsity coach Kristin Davis watches the Cowgirls practice Sept 18 at Coppell High School. Davis has coached for 9 years. Photo by Ale Ceniceros

“Our girls seem very determined to redefine what a Cowgirl basketball player is.”

There is a large group of sophomore and junior girls fighting for spots on the JV and varsity rosters.

“As of right now, we’re trying not to make any cuts. Instead of a Freshman A and B team, there will be a JV team I and II,” Davis said.

With starting the year with different coaches, the players are excited about bringing a new energy to the game.

Junior, forward/post Chidera Nwaiwu shares her enthusiasm for this transition.

“They are an energetic group of coaches so it will be exciting to see how they liven the season up. This year I feel like each coach is trying to get to know each individual player and really cares about team development,” Nwaiwu said.

Davis had success in her other programs and is trying to bring her philosophies to Coppell.

“What makes a good team is just that, ‘team’,” Davis said. “Make sure there isn’t that every man for himself look. We don’t need stars.”

With building blocks like these in place, the future looks positive for the Coppell Cowgirls this season.

“It’s a rebuilding kind of year. They’re excited and we’re excited just to see what we can be capable of this season,” Davis said.