Beat summer boredom with TV shows and movies

Shannon Morgan
@shannonlacyy

For those of us that do not have a vacation planned every week of summer (which I am pretty sure is all of
us) boredom is going to set in at some point. There are a lot of things you could do- go outside, ride your bike, go swimming, but some days are definitely meant to be spent being lazy. In order to help you with this, I have compiled a list of movies and TV shows that will keep your boredom at bay while still allowing you to take full advantage of summer.

1.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer

If you know me or have ever spoken to me, I have probably talked to you about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Most of the time no one ever has any clue of what I am talking about. This is why summer is the perfect opportunity to educate yourself and become apart of the cult that it Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Buffy Summers, your seemingly ordinary California valley girl, is actually the one and only vampire slayer. She shops by day (You have to look good while fighting evil right?) and fights vampires and other demons by night with her friends. This show was filmed in the 90s, and the fashion reflects this time, so if you are not ready for slightly bad special effects and trends from this decade, then you might want to hold off on watching this show until you can appreciate it better. What at first seems like a strange and superficial show Buffy the Vampire Slayer actually has deeper messages as the show goes on and is definitely worth not giving up on.

1. In Time

If you are a huge Justin Timberlake fan In Time will not disappoint. In Time is set in futuristic world where your life is your currency and when you run out of “time”, you die. Justin Timberlake’s character, Will Salas, is a poor guy who lives each day wondering if it will be his last, until a mysterious person gives Will an infinite amount of time and he must go on the run, away from enemies he never knew existed. This movie came out in 2011 but never seemed to become popular, despite the leading man and the brilliance of the movie. If you are looking for a movie to get lost in this is definitely it, but be prepared to come out the end of it with a lot of questions about the life you are living now.

1. The Carrie Diaries

Carrie Bradshaw is a typical teen living in the 80s, when she is offered an internship in New York City at a popular fashion magazine. The show is fun and quirky, with a great 80s themed soundtrack to go with it. Unfortunately, the show was canceled after two seasons. So if you are looking for a show to keep you going all summer long, this is definitely not it. But it is worth giving a shot, and you might find yourself falling in love with the show, but also with the main love interest, Sebastian.

1. Grease

What more really needs to be said about this movie? Grease is the perfect summer movie, filled with fun, musical dance numbers, a young John Travolta and a step back into the 60s. Grease is about multiple teens, but the main characters Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsen are the focus of the movie. After meeting on a vacation, starting a relationship and expecting never to see each other again, Sandy moves to the same town as Danny and begins attending the same school. But when Sandy comes to realize that Danny is a different person around his friends it seems as though the two will never be able to be together. Grease is great for when you want to enjoy summer but do not want to get up off of your couch.

1. Daredevil

Recently new to Netflix, Daredevil at first glance did not seem that promising to me. It looked good but I was unsure if I wanted to watch a Marvel TV show, which would be very different from a Marvel movie. Regardless, I started it and finished it within three days. The show has an awesome score (not to mention an awesome intro), and the plot seems like it has many directions it could take. The show is about an aspiring lawyer named Matthew Murdoch who was blinded at a young age, but develops powers to fight crime in Hell’s Kitchen in New York City. Charlie Cox, who plays Matthew Murdoch/Daredevil is not actually blind, but is very believable in the show. Daredevil is only on its first season, but with the popularity it already has and continues to develop, there are sure to be more seasons on the way.

1. Back to the Future

Even though this movie is listed last, it is probably my favorite movie of all time. Back to the Future, more specifically Marty Mcfly, is everything I aspire to be. Kidding, sort of. For those that know me, my obsession with Back to the Future was what started my obsession with 80s movies, music and clothes. Back to the Future, for those severely uneducated, is about a boy named Marty Mcfly, and his eccentric friend Doctor Emmett Brown. Doc (as he is also known), invents a time machine out of a Delorean. After some unfortunate events Marty gets stuck in 1955 and must get back to his present time, 1985, or he will cease to exist. Back to the Future is a classic that you have to see, and summer is the perfect time to do so.