Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Holiday Break Travels Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Angela Almeida
    Opinions Editor
    Video by Kim Dalrymple

For most students, holiday break was spent within the confines of Coppell. More often than not, Starbucks became their haven for hot chocolate and AMC Grapevine Mills was their salvage from the cold. However, for the lucky few that got the opportunity to venture outside, this is their story.

Senior Hannah Sandle is up in arms with college indecision. As she has already applied to her chosen universities, as of now, it is only about the wait for acceptance. In turn, she decided to visit St. Edward’s University over break, in hopes that she could narrow down her choices for her upcoming freshman year in college.

“It was nice and I really liked the campus, I could defiantly picture myself going there,” Sandle said.

While visiting St. Edward’s, Sandle had the opportunity to take a tour of the campus as well as time to converse with current students. As of yet, Sandle claims her ultimate decision relies upon financial aid. However, St. Edward’s location in Austin makes the school a hard option to pass up.

“Austin is an oasis in a desert,” Sandle said. “I love the city and was wonderful to get away from the typical Coppell life there.”

On the East Coast, Junior Uzomaka Onyejiaka got the chance to venture to the Big Apple. While there, she stayed with her sister, Oglichi, who is a student at the Pratt Art Institute in New York City.

Onyejiaka spent her holiday break primarily in Brooklyn. From ballet performances at Lincoln Center to the city’s botanical gardens, Onyejiaka became cultured outside of Coppell’s boundaries.

“It was really exhilarating running to the subways, hoping you’ll make it,” Onyejiaka said. “I defiantly want to go back.”    

The end of Onyejiaka’s trip was spent on the beach in Coney Island. Overall, Onyejiaka attributes the excitement she had on break to her opportunity to be in a place away from the monotony of Coppell.

“It is good to get out,” Onyejiaka said simply.

Going global, Sophomore Shaquille Bottse visited his family back in Suriname over break. Bottse, a foreign exchange student, has been attending CHS since the beginning of the school year. Thus, up until holiday break, contact with his parents was solely over the phone.

Suriname, a small country north of Brazil, is famous for its beautiful tropical geography and vibrant nightlife. Following his trip, Bottse can now attest to this fame.

“Before I moved to Coppell, I was only used to rain forests and clubbing every so often.” Bottse said. “Now that I know that isn’t everywhere, I value it more.”

Bottse got the opportunity to be reunited with his family for just four days before he had to come back. However, he claims he knew it was worth the short stay when he got the chance to see his twin sister Fernanda.

The nightlife in Suriname was Bottse favorite part. From raves on the beaches to late-night outings with friends, Suriname is the place he hopes to return to immediately following graduation. Until then, however, he is learning to enjoy the quaintness of American life in Coppell.

“I really do like it here in Coppell but I needed to go back and see my family and friends,” Bottse said. “I’m glad I had the time to travel there.”