Cowgirls begin playoffs against Midlothian

Sophmore+Katie+Herklotz+and+seniors+Laura+Hogan+and+Kylie+Pickrell+await+a+serve+during+their+game+against+Southlake+Carroll+last+night.+
Sophmore Katie Herklotz and seniors Laura Hogan and Kylie Pickrell await a serve during their game against Southlake Carroll last night.

By Allie Arnold
student life editor
@_alliearnold

When the Coppell volleyball team takes the floor against Midlothian in the Class 6A bi-district playoffs, the Cowgirls might eventually know what it is like to win seven postseason matches to win a state championship for the third time in four years.

As members of the the 2012 Class 5A state champions, Gilbert and Pickrell know the feeling of being the best.

“As long as we play consistently tonight as well as every other game we will play in playoffs, we will have a seven game run to a state title,” senior setter Kylie Pickrell said. “We’re capable of achieving it, all we have to do is play the way we know how.”

The Cowgirls volleyball team play its first playoff match of the season tonight at Grand Prairie High School against Midlothian High School at 7 p.m.

After a season of many great matches as well as a few unfortunate losses, the Cowgirls are anxious to start playoffs and prove to everyone that they deserve another state title.

Midlothian is 9-3 in District 8-6A. Teams that are no strangers to the Cowgirls such as Desoto and Cedar Hill are also included in the district and have been defeated by the Cowgirls multiple times in years passed.

Even though the district has a reputation of not being as competitive as the district they have been playing in all season, the Cowgirls are not planning on taking the game lightly.

“We have to play every game from now on like it’s the state championship match,” senior defensive specialist Nikki Gowdy said. “We know we are going to have to play our absolute best every single game if we want to win state, so that’s exactly what we will do.”