Coppell takes on Tyler Lee at home after long road trip

By Peter Sblendorio

After nearly a month away from their home court, Coppell Cowboys basketball returns to CHS tonight to take on the Tyler Lee Red Raiders.

The Cowboys last hosted a home game on Dec. 12 against Duncanville, a game they lost 50-45. They have since played in two tournaments, Cedar Hill, where they went 2-2, and the Whataburger Tournament, where they went 3-1 and earned consolation.

Coppell started of the New Year with a 64-49 road loss to Cedar Hill on Saturday Jan. 2. The Cowboys are hoping that their long awaited return home will translate to their first win in 2010.

Coppell is 11-8 this year and is looking to improve on its last ranked spot in the district 6-5A basketball standings before district matchups start on Friday Jan. 15. After tonight’s game against the Raiders, the Cowboys will take on Desoto and Jesuit before the district season begins.

Coppell’s success in recent tournaments suggest that they are poised to succeed against other teams in their district moving forward, which will allow them to make a late season move up the standings.

Their team defense has been solid of late, giving them reason to believe they match up well tonight against Tyler Lee. While many players are sure to have their eyes on the district season, Coppell will need to execute in the next few games to remain in position to advance into the postseason.

Click here for a look at the Cowboy’s schedule.