District 7-6A Preview: Football

Senior+quarterback+Skylar+Bonneau+%282%29+lines+up+under+center+at+the+goal+line+during+the+McKinney+Boyd+vs.+Coppell+game+at+McKinney+Boyd+Sept.+5.+Photo+by+Stephanie+Alexander.+
Senior quarterback Skylar Bonneau (2) lines up under center at the goal line during the McKinney Boyd vs. Coppell game at McKinney Boyd Sept. 5. Photo by Stephanie Alexander.

By Alex Nicoll

editor-in-chief/sports editor

@NicollMac

Coppell enters district play, starting September 26, 2014, with a 2-2 record. The team had strong wins over Hebron and the Eastern Christian team from Maryland, but was upset by a surprising McKinney Boyd team and former Class 5A Division II state champs, Cedar Hill.

Hurst L.D. Bell Blue Raiders (0-4)

9/26 at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field

Head Coach: Mark Smith

2013 Record: 7-4

The Run-Down: For Bell, the offense lost multiple starters including its leading passer, rusher and its top four receivers. They are not without options though with the return of three-year letterman Daniel Dorsett in the backfield. Dorsett rushed for 622 yards last season and six touchdowns while catching for 127 more yards another touchdown. So far this year he has 692 yards and seven touchdowns. He is joined by junior receiver Tacorian Howard who has reeled in two touchdown passes this season. Junior Dominique Lawson handles the quarterback position. Lawson did not play in a varsity game last season but has 445 yards this season and two touchdowns. Jared Smith and Blake Jenkins anchor an offensive line that gained 382.2 yards per game last season. On defense, Bell has defensive backs Landry Ward and Chad Williams in the secondary to cover the likes of Southlake Carroll quarterback Ryan Agnew, Coppell quarterback Skylar Bonneau and the other top District 7-6A quarterbacks. Ward is the team’s leading tackler that is returning and was the team leader in interceptions with three last year followed by Williams with two. On the defensive line, senior David Dorsett will look to replicate his season last year that included four sacks and five QB hurries. Junior kicker Tyler Dunlop is another option for the offense. He was perfect from field goal range last season going 2-2 with a long of 38 yards and has four this season already.

Southlake Carroll (3-0)

10/3 at 7:30 p.m. at Southlake

Head Coach: Hal Wasson

2013 Record: 11-2

The Run-Down: Carroll’s offensive relies heavily on former District 4-5A MVP quarterback Ryan Agnew. The number six quarterback on Dallas Morning News SportsDay Top 100 prospects, he threw for 3,148 yards and 31 touchdowns while rushing for 1,252 yards and 20 touchdowns. He currently holds offers from Houston, Texas State and Arkansas State. The one question mark about the passing game is who will Agnew throw to? Carroll lost nine of the 11 players who caught a pass from Agnew last year. Senior receiver Parker Fentriss and junior running back Lil’Jordan Humphrey are the two returning players. Fentriss has been Agnew’s target of choice this season, as he leads the team in receptions, yards, and is tied with the lead in touchdowns. Humphrey is the guy to watch in the backfield. He leads the team with 383 yards and six touchdowns. The offensive line will be returning two starters. The defense, besides Agnew, will be a strength for Carroll this year. Five players return for a defense that gave up 307.7 yards per game. All-district senior linebacker Joel McClellan will be a force for opposing offenses after collecting 81 tackles. He is joined by senior lineman King Newton, who had 12 tackles for loss last season, and another all-district selection in senior safety Andy Chelf.

Richland Rebels (1-3)

10/17 at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field

Head Coach: Ged Kates

2013 Record: 4-6

The Run-Down: Richland is returning six starters on offense and eight on defense. Most of the experience will come on defense with the return of linebackers senior Hayden Davidson, senior Jonathan Okello and junior Jordan Wiley. All were in the top three in tackles for Richland last season, with Davidson leading the way 93 total tackles and eight sacks, another team lead. The standout had four forced fumbles and an interception last season and currently holds an offer from North Texas. Defensive back senior Kenny Frances returns to a secondary that gave up 141.4 yards per game last season. On offense Richland has running back C.J. Hicks who rushed for 741 yards and 5 touchdowns and caught six passes for 70 yards and another score. Senior Adrien Itoka, the team’s top receiver from a year ago, will lead the receiving corps. Itoka caught 31 passes for 512 yards and nine touchdowns. Itoka already has 19 receptions for 207 yards and two scores this season. Senior quarterback Eddie Thomas IV is a dual threat quarterback that has 303 rushing yards and a team-high four touchdowns on the ground. The offensive line could be an area of concern with most of the players being new faces after losing four starters last year.

Euless Trinity (4-0)

10/24 at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity

Head Coach: Steve Lineweaver

2013 Record: 11-3

The Run-Down: An interesting match-up already for Trinity will be its district match-up against Southlake Carroll, who they knocked out of the Class 5A Division I playoffs last season in a 42-38 regional semi-finals. On offense, Trinity will rely on running backs junior Ja’Ron Wilson and junior Tyler Natee. Wilson rushed for 1,343 and 21 touchdowns as a sophomore and is expected to improve this year. Natee, also, is the starting quarterback for Trinity this year but only has thrown for 326 yards and two touchdowns. He has however rushed for 384 yards and five touchdowns. Trinity is a run-oriented team that has size up front, led by Texas commit senior Patrick Vahe. Vahe and Trinity led Class 5A in rushing yards per game with 377.2. Trinity’s strength will once again be on defense. Linebacker Kyle Unga, who had 108 total tackles, last year returns to lead a linebacker corps that includes senior Gio Kautai and senior Tobias Natee. Senior Tipa Galeai and junior Chris Daniels will anchor the defensive line. The secondary is a potential weakness. Trinity gave up over 170 yards passing last season and senior Matthew Munoz returns as a leader in interceptions with three from last year.

Colleyville Heritage Panthers (2-2)

10/31 at 7:30 p.m. at Buddy Echols Field

Head Coach: Darren Allman

2013 Record: 8-3

The Run-Down: After quarterback Griffin Pickler graduated last year, the biggest question mark for the Heritage offense going into the season is how senior quarterback Clayton Oliver would perform. Oliver has 574 yards and three touchdowns on the year but he has struggled turning the ball over. He does have returning starter Demarco Corbin in the backfield to call upon when needed. The power back rushed for a team-high 13 touchdowns on 371 yards and has already almost matched his last years total with 358 yards on the season already. Senior Justin Toberny is another running back that shares carries with Corbin. Senior receiver Jackson Zaledon is Heritage’s leading returning target after reeling in 24 passes for 406 yards and four touchdowns and is so again this season. Zaledon leads the team with 13 catches and 232 yards. He will be joined by senior Ryan Phillipe, who plays safety, in the receiving corps. The defense returns six starters with most of their linebackers coming back. Headlining the group are seniors Jared Crouch and Maxx Crosby, who combined for 86 tackles, 10 tackles for loss and seven sacks. Heritage’s 3-4 defensive scheme will be anchored on the line by senior Jason Williams. Williams finished with 41 total tackles and a sack.

Haltom City Buffaloes (0-4)

11/7 at 7:30 p.m. at Haltom

Head Coach: Jason Tucker

2013 Record: 3-7

The Run-Down: Haltom has only won five games in the past two years and has not had a winning season since 2009. They come over with Richland and Southlake Carroll, which beat Haltom 28-7 and 65-7 respectively, to District 7-6A. On offense the team only threw for 340 yards the whole season and is losing its only 1,000 yard rusher in Jonathan Armstrong. That’s where senior running back Hector Vazquez, who leads the team with 174 yards and a touchdown, comes in. At quarterback the only player with varsity experience at the position is senior Joey Opitz. The 6-1 160 senior went 1-3 for six yards last season but has 149 yards and four touchdowns this year. The whole receiving core will be gone, meaning Reed could slide over to fill the position. Senior receiver Victor Arambula leads the team in yards and is tied for first in the team lead for touchdowns with two. Opitz and the offense will run the spread offense under new coach Tucker who comes over from Burleson. On defense, Haltom has linemen senior Richard Givens, senior Jaylan Cruz and junior Tyree Smith returning and have experience coming back at the linebacker position with the return of senior Joseph Banks, junior Deonta Cooksey and senior Jonathan Sanchez. Cooksey is listed on the depth chart as a two-way player that is also considered a running back.