• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

The Black Walnut Café to become new Coppell hotspot

By Christiana Haas
staff writer/graphic designer
@ChristiannaHaas

The Black Walnut Café is one of the best new additions to Coppell. Greeted by friendly staff, you are welcomed into an antique style interior made up of dark mahogany wood, ferns and soft lighting.

The breakfast quesadilla at Black Walnut Café. Photo by Nicole Messer.

The ordering style is unique: There is no waitstaff. Customers choose their own seat, order their food at a single register and pick their food up at a counter when their buzzer rings.

Black Walnut does not have one specific food genre. There are many reasonably priced options ranging from Otis Otis Otis ($12.75), a greek alfredo chicken pasta, to burgers and a magnificent Breakfast Quesadilla ($7.00)

I ordered the Pot Roast Grilled Cheese ($8.50), not knowing what to expect. I was not disappointed in the slightest. It tasted better with each bite. It was one of the best roast beef sandwiches I have ever had. I also was given the wonderful opportunity to taste not only the Otis Otis Otis, but also the Anderson’s ‘Bout Time, A wonderful chicken sandwich ($9.75), and the Turkey Croissant Club ($11.50). Each dish has its own unique flavor, made up of various sauces, spreads and seasonings.

Out of all the meals I tried, I was unable to pick a favorite. The basil mayonnaise on the Croissant Club was an unexpected yet wonderful touch. The peppers and alfalfa sprouts added just the right flavour to the ‘Bout Time.

The pot roast grilled cheese  at Black Walnut Café. Photo by Nicole Messer.
The pot roast grilled cheese at Black Walnut Café. Photo by Nicole Messer.

The food went far beyond my expectations. I couldn’t wait to order dessert.

Ordered separately, desserts are set up in their own little station by the register. The dessert bar is also home to a variety of coffee beverages. Colorful house-made gelatos line the glass next to tall, ornate cakes. I had a slice of the Hummingbird cake and was blown away. It tasted like a mixture of carrot, raisin and cinnamon cake all held together by a glorious cream cheese icing. The taste was rich, spicy and sweet.
Offering free Wi-Fi, the restaurant aims to make the coffee bar a comfortable place for high schoolers to study and gather.

Opening at 6:30 a.m. and closing at 10 p.m., this is the perfect place for any occasion. I am positive that The Black Walnut Café is is a restaurant that is here to stay.