Bush, Brinegar to head to Naval Academy

By Henriikka Niemi

Danny Bush

Photo by Alyssa Frost
    Photo by Alyssa Frost

Starting July 1, senior Danny Bush will begin a six week long boot camp to prepare for his first year at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.

“I wanted to serve, and when I did the research, the best way to do that was to be an officer,” Bush said. “ I got interested as a freshman when I met a senior midshipman at an information session. That was when I first learned what the Academy was and after that, I was hooked.”

For the first year, students take both general courses and others over Naval history and leadership. Furthermore, students are required to participate in athletics. Bush plans to play tennis and build on his experience from the high school team.

“I’ve had a plaque by my sink ever since he was young that says ‘Prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child.’ I have believed that, but I am really needing to live it these days,” Danny’s mother Linda Bush said. “I am happy to know that his dream has come true, that he will get an excellent education, meet many wonderful people and be able to fly and travel the world.”

Bush intends to major in aerospace engineering, and hopes to be selected for naval aviation after graduation.

Rosemary Brinegar

Photo by Alyssa Frost
    Photo by Alyssa Frost

Senior Rosemary Brinegar will attend the Naval Academy Preparatory School in Newport, R.I. from August through May, which will feed directly into the Naval Academy the following year.

The prep school primarily aids students with academics to ensure they are not struggling during their four years at the Academy, which is among the most academically challenging colleges in the nation.

“Rosemary has always enjoyed being active and involved- initially in athletics and later in many areas at school,” mother Christina Brinegar said. “The physical demands of the service academies would be a negative to many potential applicants, but I think she finds that appealing. Her father and I are very proud of her decision to serve our country through Naval service.”

During a family college tour last March, Brinegar visited the Air Force Academy and later attended the service academy forum at Coppell High School, eventually applying to both academies. She grew to prefer the Naval Academy after visiting the campus last fall.

“The Academy is very structured and I’m definitely that kind of person,” Brinegar said. “During the summer, you try all these different things within the Navy to see what you want to do. It’s a place to challenge you and make you grow as a leader.”

Students must serve for at least five years after graduation, although Brinegar is currently unsure of what career path in the Navy she will pursue.