Q&A: Womack named February Teacher of the Month

By Stephanie Alexander
Entertainment Editor

Spanish I teacher Alissa Womack was awarded Coppell High School teacher of the month for February.  Womack is a Texas A&M graduate and has a deep affection for Buc’ees, along with being a great teacher.

Q: What made you want to become a teacher?

A:This is my 12th year teaching Spanish. Originally, I wanted to be a psychologist, but after graduation, I started subbing with the intent of going to graduate school. I enjoyed my permanent substitute position so much that I went through alternative certification and have been teaching ever since.

Q: What is your favorite unit to teach?

A: Food. I love food so I love to teach food. Pickles, popcorn and pasta are my favorite foods. You could also add bacon, shrimp, avocados and Diet Coke. I could talk about food for hours.

Spanish teacher Alissa Womack was selected as February’s Teacher of the Month at Coppell High School. Photo by Sandy Iyer.

Q: What is your favorite thing to watch on television?
A: I love anything on Bravo network especially all of the Real Housewives shows, but New Jersey is my favorite. Since I have two small children, I don’t watch a lot of TV that isn’t a cartoon or about superheroes.

Q: What is your teaching style, and how does it differ from the other teachers at CHS?

A:The classroom environment is the single most important factor in my belief. Through building relationships, I can establish an environment that is comfortable and conducive to learning. I really like to mix it up in the classroom. I like to vary activities and give students a choice in their learning. I am not sure that I differ from other teachers. I can honestly say that I copy so many of the great educators that I work with, and copying is the greatest form of flattery.

Q: What was it like winning this award?

A: It feels great winning this award. Everyone is so complimentary and supportive, the staff and students alike. Plus, I got some great gifts and I get to house the grand Cowboy statue for a whole month.

Q: What is something unique about you?

A. I have an indulgence for Buc-ee’s. Brilliant, clean bathrooms, best beef jerky, beaver nuggets, big sodas. I could go on and on. We visit Houston often since I have many college friends there, and one of the highlights of the four hour drive is when we get to stop at Buc-ee’s. We went to Surfside, Texas on vacation one summer and made it a point to stop at as many Buc-ee’sas we could.