Notre Dame hopes new coach Kelly has the luck of the irish

By Andy Tabor

Recently, Notre Dame University in South Bend, Indiana hired Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly to be the successor to previous coach Charlie Weis.  Kelly has been very successful this season at the helm of Cincinnati University, as they went undefeated and earned a spot in the Allstate Sugar Bowl against Florida.

Kelly, a former college linebacker, has had lead his team to a 34-6 record and two big east championships in a row.  This season the Bearcats had one of the most prolific offensive attacks of the year.  With talented quarterback Tony Pike and multi-versatile receiver/returner Mardy Gilyard, the Bearcats were as exciting as they were affective.

Notre Dame only signed Kelly to a five year contract so Kelly needs to start winning quick to secure multi-years and fan support off the bat.  As for the Bearcats, with one of their most successful coaches of all time gone, they will begin searching for a suitable replacement for Kelly.  Top candidates are East Carolina’s coach Skip Holtz and Houston head coach Kevin Sumlin.  Sumlin would be a more offensive coach while Holtz would probably represent a more defensive approach.

Whatever the case, Kelly leaving the Bearcats is a major loss for Cincinnati, although a risky move for a shaky Notre Dame.