Another year passes without “King of Rock and Roll”

By Sloane Samberson

Elvis Presley would have turned 79 today (Jan. 8th) if it was not for his devastating death back in 1977 at the age of 42. Presley died of a heart attack in his Tennessee house on August 16. Today is not a day to mourn Presley’s death, but to celebrate all the accomplishments he made in the world of music.

Presley was one of few artists to have 150 gold, platinum or multi-platinum albums. He showed the world what genuine music sounded like, composing timeless tunes that made you want to get out and dance to moves such as the Jitterbug.

In Presley’s short, yet eventful life he was featured on many television shows and even starred in the movie “Love Me Tender.” The network special that made the biggest impact on the world was,”Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii,” a concert filmed and broadcasted back in 1973. This show got roughly one billion views, more views than Michael Jackson’s performance at Super Bowl XXVII.

In honor of Presley’s birthday, restaurants such as Rochelle’s in New York will be selling Presley’s famous peanut butter sandwich (white bread, peanut butter, banana and bacon). This comfort food concoction is very easy to make, and is a tasty yet sentimental way to remember Presley’s existence.

Which Wich sells their own version of Presley’s sandwich all year round, so if you desire, visit your local Which Wich and order the “Elvis Wich.” The nearest Which Wich in Coppell is located right next to Texas Family Fitness, right off of Denton Tap Road.

Presley’s life will forever be celebrated and he will never be forgotten. Happy Birthday and R.I.P Elvis Presley.