Cowgirls defeat Midway, advancing to next round

By Allie Arnold

On Nov. 9, the Coppell Cowgirls volleyball team headed to Burleson to face Waco Midway to fight for a spot in the next round of playoffs.

The Cowgirls began the first game strong with three kills by senior middle blocker Mary Kate Marshall within the first ten minutes. With an aggressive front row from Coppell and a hesitant front row from Midway, the Cowgirls were able to gain a big lead at the very beginning of the game.

After a few dropped balls and other defensive errors from the Cowgirls, Midway was successful in their fight to catch up. Within reach of matching up their score to the Cowgirls’, Coppell’s defense stepped up with tip coverage and the offense remained consistent in swinging the ball earning them a first game win with a score of 25-18.

The second game of the night was an entirely different story. Beginning the game neck and neck with Midway, Coppell could not seem to gain their lead even after halfway through the game. Midway appeared to be a whole new, scrappier team the second game than they were the first.

Coppell had trouble passing the ball against some of Midway’s hits and the front row was hesitant in hitting the ball with full force. However, the Cowgirls continued to fight as they struggled to catch up and gain a lead. After a few more tip coverage errors from the Cowgirls, Midway won the second game with a score of 25-21.

After time to settle down and focus after the second game’s loss, the Cowgirls stepped back on the court determined to win the next set. Coppell’s defense was able to keep the ball in play much better in the third game, and kills from junior outside hitter Cathryn Cheek and senior outside hitter Kate Dicken gained the Cowgirls a lead at the very beginning. After some communication errors and rotation errors from Midway, the Cowgirls were able to snag the third game win with a score of 25-14.

Ready to take home another victory, the Cowgirls began the fourth set determined to finish strong. Playing much like the third set with great offensive and defensive plays, the Cowgirls were once again able to gain a big lead. Midway continued to struggle with offensive errors, net violations and rotation errors, making it difficult to keep up with the Cowgirls on the scoreboard. The fourth set ended much like the third with a score of 25-13.

In the end the Cowgirls agreed that they used the loss of the second game to work harder in the third and fourth.

“They came out aggressive and we came out passive in the second game,” junior Natalie Gilbert said. “After that we learned our lesson, came out ready to fight and we succeeded in the end.”

The Cowgirls will take on their toughest playoff opponent yet on Monday when they travel to LD Bell High School to do battle against the Colleyville Heritage Panthers at 7 p.m.