Cranmer continues streak as outstanding student

By Kara Hallam

For a third year in a row, junior Jessica Cranmer, with her outstanding attitude, wins student of the month for October.

Cranmer was nominated by her cross country coach, Roxanne Farris, for her humility that shines through her role as one of the captains of the team.

Jessica Cranmer competes in the District 5A meet cross country meet on October 26th.
    Junior Jessica Cranmer competes in the District 5-5A cross country meet on Oct. 26th. Photo by Elizabeth Sims.

“She genuinely cares about her teammates, especially those in her ‘family’. She takes time to get to know the new runners and makes them feel welcome,” Farris said. “You would never know this is her first year to be a captain. That’s how good she is.”

This captain explained that she wants everyone on her team to do well and stay as motivated as she is. Whether the slowest or the fastest runner, she wants to motivate her team to do finish a race to the best of their ability. Cranmer explains that motivating her teams helps her stay positive.

Not only is Cranmer a cross country captain but she also balances four advanced placement classes.

“For school, I am motivated to get into a college that suits me best with my academic abilities. I also just enjoy learning, which helps,” Cranmer said.

Her endless determination can be seen not only in class but also out on the cross country field.

“Jessie is always striving to become a better runner. She never takes the easy way out, but is in there doing every rep in the weight room, every mile on the road because she knows what the payoff will be in the long run,” Farris said.

Cranmer also volunteers after school at the organization Girls on the Run. Here Cranmer prepares middle school and elementary school girls for a 5K after a 10 week program and also teaches them valuable life lessons as well. In Girls on the Run, Cranmer educates young girls on serious social issues like gossip and bullying and improving self-image.

“I just really enjoy kids and knowing that they are learning about something important that they can carry for the rest of their lives is really motivational,” Cranmer said.

Between her course load, leadership role on the cross country team and charity participation it is obvious why Cranmer was chosen as student of the month. She stresses, however, it is not just about work but also about attitude.

“I just try to always stay happy and positive because those are the things that keep things moving and that others see and what to reflect in their personality,” Cranmer said.

She claims that even students who go without recognition are students of the month. If a student is hardworking, diligent and willing to help others in an unexpected way then they do not need an “I Rock CHS” T-shirt or any nomination at all to be considered a student of the month. It is more of a position of spirit rather than an actual award.