Arnold takes on new role as assistant principal

By Caroline Carter
News Editor

On Wednesday in the main hallway, new Assistant Principal Ms. Arnold checks out Psychology text books to junior students. Photo by Regan Sullivan.

With the 2013-2014 school year in full swing, students of Coppell High School have seen many new faces of both students and faculty members. In the administrative department, Melissa Arnold, a new assistant principal, has been preparing for the year since the beginning of summer. Though she is not new to CHS, Arnold has taken on a new role and has stayed busy during the first two weeks.

1.     What was the first week of school like for you?

My transition during the first week of school was great. I came from the English department, but the first week was surprisingly not overwhelming. It was fun, and I really enjoyed it. To be able to see the excitement on students’ faces during schedule pick up and the first day was great. Usually I only interact with the English department during the first few weeks, but I got to see what it was like for the school as a whole.

2.     What are you most excited for this year?

I am really looking forward to seeing the transformation. It has been so cool to see what the students are doing with the iPads. Coach Cameron Bankston’s class is learning about the Constitutional Amendments. He had the students walk throughout the halls and take pictures of things that could represent the different amendments. I was so impressed. Coppell is not “old school”. It is no longer just textbook and paper work.

3.     How will the iPads improve the learning experience at Coppell High School?

It will make the experience more learner focused. The iPads cause students to care about what they are learning. School is no longer a process. It is an experience. I wish I could have had this technology when I was in high school. I know would have enjoyed it a lot more.

4.     How has education changed?

Education is not the same ball game it used to be. It is learner centered and less teacher driven. Education is now more fun. I can already see how the iPads are changing the learning experience at CHS.

5.     What was your position before you became an assistant principal?

I was an English teacher at CHS. I taught sophomores and juniors. I was at CHS for five years, and then I taught in Florida for a year and a half. I have taught all levels of English, and the subject has always been my passion. I love reading and writing. There was never a question in my mind that I would teach another subject.

6.     Have you always wanted to be in education?

There was never a doubt in my mind that I would not end up in education. It was in fifth grade when I realized teaching was what I wanted to do. My teacher was Mr. Hayes. I attended New Mexico State University for my bachelor’s and Western Governors University for my master’s in Educational Leadership.

7.     What is your favorite memory of high school?

When I was in high school, I was a member of the choir. I was always in the musicals. I had a leading role in “Hello Dolly”. I also performed in “The Music Man”. The show choir was a great experience.