Shepard has big plans for Sidekick as editor-in-chief

By Kristen Shepard
Editor-in-Chief

Hello readers! My name is Kristen Shepard, and I am so enthusiastic about what is in store for both our website and our paper. First off, I would like to thank you for reading this article, our publication would be nothing without our wonderful readers and site visitors. For the 2013-2014 school year, I am honored to be named Editor-in-Chief of a publication that I have been an avid fan of for years! I know that I specifically have large shoes to fill, as previous Sidekick editor-in-chiefs have been talented leaders, professional writers and both dedicated and committed to what they do. These past editors have been mentors and inspirations to me, and I am determined to continue to improve and uphold Coppell Student Media.

Sidekick friends are the best friends to have. From left to right, managing editor Christina Burke, design editor Jordan Bickham, design editor Sophie Nauyokas, editor-in-chief Kristen Shepard.

One of the most important aspects of being a part of a publication is being willing to continue to changing with the times and continually improve. This is exactly what The Sidekick and Coppell Student Media are looking to do during the upcoming school year. We truly have had an incredible year, embellished with awards, accomplishments and our most successful fundraiser to date, ‘Strides for Life.’

Nevertheless, we, at The Sidekick, have some lofty goals for this upcoming year’s publication, and we hope to implement several new changes. From a new website interface to more in-depth coverage to a new leadership structure, we hope you notice some of the changes CSM will be making. We hope to collaborate more with our sister publication, KCBY, and to fine tune our website to secure a place in the running for a Pacemaker award. For those of you who are not familiar with this award, it is the equivalent of a journalism Heisman trophy.

This year, there will be 14 leaders and editors working behind the scenes. The biggest change to leadership will be the addition of an executive leadership team.

Sidekick staff members and KCBY members up to no good at the JEA/NSPA convention in San Antonio.
Sidekick staff members and KCBY members in front of the Alamo during the JEA/NSPA convention in San Antonio.

The editor-in-chief Kristen Shepard, managing editor Christina Burke and enterprise editor Elizabeth Sims will work together to edit copies, lead meetings and plan staff events. Other notable changes include changing the title of features editor to student life editor and opinions editor to editorial page editor. Do not fret, though! All the same great content will be flowing through our staff.

As for me personally, I am an incoming senior and anxiously awaiting whatever my collegiate future will entail. I am involving in a variety of activities from The Sidekick (my favorite) to Coppell DECA to cross country to Red Jackets. My obsessions include the Onion network (sorry Mr. Wofford), Law and Order SVU and campus architecture. I have no idea where my future will take me, but I am happily along for the ride.

I will surely have a busy senior year, but I am hoping that my third year on staff will be my very best. I am so blessed to be working with an incredible group of editors, a hard-working and energetic staff and an adviser that works tirelessly to provide us with opportunities to better our future and our paper. I am so excited for the upcoming year, and I hope you are too!

1