Queens of CHS move forward into bright future

By Jordan Bickham

IMG_8367The typical birthday list of a teenager includes a phone or clothes, but seniors Sneha and Raga Ayyagari asked to fund their own non-profit organization.

The Ayyagari twins got the idea of starting their own organization after being board members of their parents’ organization called the Timeless Changes Foundation.  Through this foundation, they have helped improve education and healthcare in India.

The idea for their own foundation came after finding out their adopted dog, Louie, was a puppy-mill dog.

“We wanted to spread awareness about animal welfare issues and serve as a voice for the voiceless animals who suffered,” Sneha said.  “We extended this idea to include children and family welfare and after planning for a couple years, we asked for money to start the organization for our 16th birthday.”

They used this money to set up the organization’s website and register with the government as a non-governmental organization.  Then, in the summer of 2011, they then visited Tanzania with the Timeless Changes Foundation to meet with directors of non-profits that are located there.  During their trip, they also visited schools, which opened their eyes to the horrible situation many Africans deal with on a daily basis.

“We decided that this need resonated with our mission, ‘To shed light on issues related to the welfare of animals, wildlife and children by supporting organizations dedicated to these causes through fundraising, volunteerism and education,” Sneha said.

After the trip, they began their Kitabu (which is book in Swahili) for Kids project.  Through this project, they raised enough money to ship 500 books back to Tanzania to the schools they visited during their trip.

While it was a great experience, it was eye-opening as well and caused Sneha and Raga to try and help out in any way they could back home in Coppell.  Sneha entered an essay contest that was called “A Voice for the Animals” in which she wrote about the abuse of chimpanzees in the entertainment industry.  This unique essay topic was chosen after she read an article in National Geographic about Dr. Jane Goodall’s work with chimpanzees in Tanzania.

“When I learned about the abuses of chimpanzees in entertainment, I felt that is was an issue that deserved to be explored and publicized,” Sneha said.

After winning the contest, the awarded prize money was immediately put into their foundation in order to help fund future projects as they both believe that there is still more work to be done in Tanzania.

“In some of the schools we visited, there was only one textbook for hundreds of kids to share,” Raga said. “Many were unable to pass seventh grade without passing their exams due to the lack of resources, so we just wanted to help out with that.”

Both Sneha and Raga are planning on continuing to help others through their organization, the Louie Foundation. Whether it’s children in Africa or puppy mill dogs, their organization always has a crucial role in assisting those in need.

Not only do they have a non-profit under their names, but they also have an acceptance to Stanford University.

With high school in the rearview mirror, both Ayyagari twins are ready to begin on the road to their future in California at Stanford.  But, unlike old times, the twins are splitting up and moving on separate paths.  After years of classes together in elementary, middle and high school, the twins are going in different directions.

“How Stanford roommates work is that you fill out a survey and then they pair you up randomly, so we do not find out [our roommates] until we move in,” Raga said.  “And generally, they separate twins. They put them in different dorms.”

With an acceptance to Stanford and a non-profit organization under their names, the Ayyagari twins have a bright future ahead of them as well as great résumés.  Even with so many aspects of their lives still overlapping, they are still planning on being individuals in college, an idea that surprises some of their friends.

“Sneha and Raga are both incredible, which is why I am not surprised they both were able to make it into Stanford,” junior Sydney Owens said. “I would have had a harder time imagining them at separate schools.  I just cannot imagine them splitting and going in different directions for college.”

Even with different courses and different dorms, Sneha and Raga continue to move together as they look into the distance future at career paths.

“We plan to continue with non-profit work, maybe something with environmental conservation or public health.  Or even possibly combining biology and service,” Raga said.  “We are also interested in writing and maybe writing some books together.”