Sidekick seniors reflect on time spent in D115

By Christina Burke
    Features Editor

From cat calendars to national recognitions, the graduating class of 2013 has unmistakably left its mark on D115.

Under the leadership of this year’s senior class, The Dallas Morning News chose The Sidekick as a finalist for Best Newspaper at its annual High School Journalism Day, and the International League Press Conference presented Coppell Student Media with a Gold Star Award.

In addition to the success The Sidekick has obtained at contests and conventions, this year also marked the first annual Sidekick Strides for Life 5K fundraiser, organized by senior business manager Addy Buigas-Lopez, from which The Sidekick donated over $1,500 to the Taylor’s Gift scholarship program.

All recognitions aside, Sidekick seniors can testify that there is more to take away from their time on staff than just tangible awards.

“The Sidekick for me has meant getting outside of my comfort zone and developing new skills,” senior editor-in-chief Michelle Pitcher said. “I loved the freedom I had as a journalist and the access to important information that I got. It’s an amazing feeling to be a trusted source of information at the school.”

Working as a journalist in a high school environment gives off an invigorating power that is unique, worthwhile and helps students develop a plethora of skills.

“I was really shy going into high school, and being in journalism really got me out of my shell because I had to go talk to a bunch of people I had never talked to before,” senior sports editor Sammy Robben said. “I am much more outgoing and opinionated now. I also learned a lot about writing, page designing and photography.”

Robben is one of many seniors who have spent the last four years excelling in journalism under the instruction of The Sidekick adviser Chase Wofford.

“I have more three-year staff members this year than ever before,” Wofford said. “Some of them have literally grown up in here. I’ve developed strong relationships with them and I’ll miss getting to work with them.”

Skills and life lessons learned in D115 extend far beyond the field of journalism. The Sidekick has provided many great friendships and opportunities staff members that will not soon be forgotten with graduation.

“Being on staff has taught me a lot about time management and how to work with others well,” senior news editor Julianne Cauley said. “I have gotten a lot closer to the staff and we made a lot of really fun memories both inside and outside of the classroom.”

The graduating class of 2013 benefitted The Sidekick in so many ways beyond its journalistic skills. The students’ incredible leadership will be missed among underclassmen.

“The senior class displayed a pride in The Sidekick that the underclassmen hope to carry on,” junior Kristen Shepard said. “I’ve gotten to know them really well and wish them the best in the future.”

After an undoubtedly long journey, graduation is just around the corner for seniors. Even those not planning on pursuing journalism collegiately have many memories to take from The Sidekick and know they are always welcome in D115.

“They’ve done everything they can do here; it’s time for them to move on to bigger and better things,” Wofford said. “I thank them for their hard work; it’s certainly been an honor for me to have them. They have left such a legacy behind.”