Manning brings new male perspective to yearbook staff

By Natalie Gilbert

For three years, a group of backpacks with girly ribbons and pink accents clumped together around the couches of room A105, but at the start of 2013-14, a black backpack will be added to the mix with the only noticeable identifying factor being the camera lens peeking through the open seam.

In the past, the Round-Up yearbook staff has been predominately made up of girls, but after the acceptance of the new members for 2013-14, the staff has their first male member in three years.

Sophomore Bobby Manning is now a part of the staff, but his road to becoming a participant is unlike most. The initial reason for Manning’s application was the need of an elective; however, throughout the process, he realized photography could turn into something he is passionate about.

“I thought yearbook as an elective would be fun because I am involved in few of the many opportunities here and would love to cover and discover the many other events and clubs held at CHS,” Manning said.

Although Manning had never used an advanced camera such as the ones used to shoot for the yearbook, he was reassured that he could still be successful as a photographer by Round-Up editor and junior Lauren Cullison.

“When I first applied to yearbook, I hadn’t used any camera like the ones I do now either,” Cullison said. “I shot everything on auto, but with practice and help from the editors I became good enough to be one. Just like me, help from the editors and returning staff will bring Bobby’s photography together with his writing skills.”

According to Round-Up adviser Sallyanne Buckley, having a male on staff will bring balance to the coverage throughout the year.

“Girls tend to know more girls, and males tend to know more males,” Buckley said.  “Although that is not a hard and fast rule, it will be good to finally get a male’s perspective on everything, including coverage on more guys who go here.”

The reason Manning was accepted was not just because he was male. Even with his submitted pictures coming from previous Instagram posts taken on his phone, his application impressed the editors and Buckley.

“He seemed willing and excited about covering the year,” Buckley said. “He was really passionate about wanting to preserve memories for the year. That along with the sense that he is likeable makes everyone excited for him to be on staff next year.”

Being the only male on staff does not only have an effect on the staff, but it has an effect on Manning himself. When he was asked in the interview stage of the application process if being the only boy on staff was a problem, Manning was fine with it.

Cullison and Buckley both agree that Manning’s interest itself was impressive.

“We asked him how he would feel being the only guy on staff,” Cullison said. “You could tell that he really did not care. For him just being a part of the program was all that mattered, and that showed he was truly interested in yearbook and that he would be committed to his work.”

Despite the fact Manning was not aware of the situation, the gender of the staff is the least of his worries. From staffers and bystanders, he has heard the emphasis placed upon time management. Since he participates in the CHS theatre program, he will have balance his time between the two activities, but he knows his situation and accepts the challenge.

Going into next year’s staff, Manning is aware of the obstacles he will face. Learning his way through the equipment, being the only male and managing his time are all objects in his way to being a successful yearbook staff member.

“The fact that I am a boy might have been a factor to why I got in, but I definitely thing they saw me for the student I am,” Manning said. “Every student has their obstacles, and mine will be no different. They saw that I had writing skills and would be committed, which is why I think the year will go smoothly.”