Child Sexual Abuse Awareness meeting open to community

By Thomas Hair
Opinions Editor

Approximately one-fifth of children are sexually abused by the time they turn 18. That’s 20%. One in five. Chances are, a child living on your street has been or will be sexually abused. Chances are, 6 kids in an elemtary school class of 30 have been or will be sexually abused.

These staggering statistics aren’t just numbers, they are very real events that are happening to real people. The Mid-Cities Kappa Delta Alumnae Chapter of Texas has dedicated itself to raising awareness about this troubling trend in America. On January 23, the group will be hosting a Child Sexual Abuse Awareness meeting at the Church of Apostles on South MacArthur Blvd. in Coppell. The event will feature a speaker, Kim Rocha (a prevention specialist at Alliance For Children), and will be open to absolutely anybody that wishes to attend, free of charge.

The “Coppell Bubble” may make our streets safer, but they do not shield against horrible crimes that occur in the privacy of people’s homes. If you want to know more about what YOU can do to prevent abuse to the children in your life, please drop by at 7 p.m. next Wednesday. The meeting will include an overview of the Stewards of Children training course.