All-state

All-state is the highest honor a Texas music student can achieve. Over 1,500 students are selected out of over 55,000 from throughout the state to perform in one of 13 ensembles. There are seven bands, three orchestras and three choirs.

This process begins with auditions hosted by 28 TMEA (Texas Music Educators Association) regions. Individual musicians perform selected music to a panel of judges who rank each instrument or voice part. From this ranking a select group of musicians advance from their Region to compete against musicians from other Regions in seven TMEA Area competitions. For larger regions such as the one Coppell High School belongs to there will be a District round before Region for choir and a Pre-Area round before Area for band. The highest-ranking musicians from the Area competitions qualify to perform in a TMEA All-State music group. Students selected take a trip down to San Antonio to participate in three days of rehearsals directed by nationally recognized conductors during the annual state TMEA Clinic/Convention. Student placement in each respective band, orchestra or choir is decided at the convention. At the end of the three days a concert is held to display the students’ hard work and dedication. This concert is attended by thousands of guests every year.