Debate team competes at UNT

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

On Friday, Nov. 6th the Coppell High School debate team is traveling to the University of North Texas in Denton in order to compete against 41 other teams from around the metroplex. This tournament is just one of the many almost-weekly competitions the team attends throughout year.

The team had originally arranged for transportation to UNT by means of a limousine, due to the money it would save rather than taking a  bus. This plan, however, was not passed by the school board, who instisted a bus be taken for school related travel instead.

“The bust situation was really frustrating, especially since we were all really excited about getting to travel down there in a limo,” junior debater Priyanka Krishnamurthy said. “Because we have to take a bus, we have to leave three hours earlier for the tournament, forcing me to  miss part of the school day for no reason.”

The debate team plans to reach UNT at around 1:30, a good deal before the beginning of the tournament at 4:30. Both types of debate taught at the highschool, Public Forum and Cross Examination (also known as Policy Debate), are planning on attending.