• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Foreign exchange students learn culture of America through host families

By Caroline Carter

Foreign exchange student Carolina Salviato from Brazil smiles with her host parents Bob and Marilyn Barnett. Photo by Caroline Carter.

The first day of school is an intimidating experience for any student, especially if you are new to the United States.

Two new faces at CHS include foreign exchange students Mercedes Rodriguez of Spain and Carolina “Carol” Salviato of Brazil. The two have recently begun an exchange program for their junior year in high school. Rodriguez will be in the program for 10 months, and Salviato will be in it for six months.

“I come from a group of 73 students in Spain that are all foreign exchange students.” Rodriguez said. “We are staying in different parts of the United States. In Texas, there are about five students.”

Rodriguez, who has participated in other foreign exchange programs before, has attended school in Germany, France and England, but for a shorter period of time. This is her first time in the United States. Rodriguez says that she has enjoyed her experience so far, and that being a foreign exchange student has taught her independence.

“I came here alone with no family or friends, since they are all in Spain,” Rodriguez said. “You become independent and you grow up fast since you are in a new place. The host families are very welcoming and have made it easier. Everyone in Coppell has been very friendly to me too.”

Coppell residents Kelly and Thom Hulme, who is also a Coppell ISD trustee, are serving as Rodriguez’s host family.  The Hulmes have served as a host family for the past. Last year, the family hosted Uxia Fernandez Bustillo, who is also originally from Spain.

“After being a foreign exchange student in college, I knew that I would want to host other students since I had a good experience,” Kelly said. “Though this, I think that we have become a better family, and it has helped us become more patient with each other. We help the girls in any way that we can and show them our culture. We have taken Mercedes to a theater in Dallas and spent some time in Austin and San Antonio.”

Sophomore Marin Hulme, Kelly and Thom Hulme’s daughter, also enjoys the experience of getting to host a foreign exchange student and appreciates the special relationship formed.

“I met Mercedes this summer before she came to America, so I knew a little bit about her before she officially came to America,” Marin Hulme said. “I helped her get to know the school and Coppell. I also help her with her language if she wants me to correct homework, or if she mispronounces something. It is also fun for me because it is basically like having a sister.”

Like Rodriguez, Salviato had to complete an extensive process to come to the United States.

“We first had to go to an agency and talk to them about why we wanted to come (to America),” Salviato said. “We had to take a lot of tests to test our English language. I have been to the United States before, but this is my first time for the foreign exchange program.”

As a foreign exchange student, Salviato is required to take the same classes as any other student at the high school. From biology to pre-calculus, Salviato must take on a complete course load even as she adjusts to the culture and language.

“I have liked my classes, but the first day was hard since the school was so big and crowded,” Salviato said. “I have gotten to take some fun classes too like photography and dance. My host family helps me whenever I have a question.”

Joe and Marilyn Barnett, Salviato’s host family, have been long time residents of Coppell, whose children were in the school system during the late 1990s. Though the two have hosted a foreign exchange student in the past, they say that Salviato has adjusted to life in America better than expected, and her positive attitude is making the process easy.”

“She is just so easy to host,” Joe Barnett said. “She is willing to try different things and has a great amount of courage. We took her to a Rangers game the second day she was here, and have been to a Cowboys preseason game with her, as well as the high school’s two [football] games. [Baseball and football] are two sports that they do not have in Brazil, but she is so excited to see what they are about.”

Although deciding whether to host an exchange student is a lengthy and sometimes difficult process, the Barnett’s feel that by simply opening their home to a student, they can greatly change and help their life.

“We felt that if a student has the courage to come to a completely different country to learn our language among other things, we would enjoy being a part of the experience,” Marilyn said. “It would give us a chance to help them through a difficult and scary experience.”

Rodriguez and Salviato have only completed the first few weeks of their year in America; both are optimistic about their time here and know that their host families will make the process easier.