Where the Wild Things Are captivates audiences everywhere

Frances Ruiz

Max Records stars as in "Where the Wild Things Are." (Matt Nettheim/Warner Bros./MCT). Photo courtesy of MctCampus

After observing a wild rumpus sure to captivate and intrigue even the wildest of wild things, the heart wrenching tale of Where the Wild Things Are enables viewers to embark on a journey with the boisterous King Max, played by Max Records, and his unruly wild things in an attempt to rediscover the power of unconditional love and the place where you truly belong. 

From the very first time the viewer catches a glimpse of the rowdy, mischievous Max wreaking havoc on anything and everything within his home, it is clear that this is a children’s story unlike any other. Believing that his mother does not love nor understand him, Max runs- or rather sails- away to an island far from civilization in hopes of finding a place where only the things you want to happen take place.

Once on the island, Max encounters the ferocious group of wild things who threaten to eat him before learning that he is a king who has chosen to rule over them. In hopes that Max will bring their dissolving group together and fill it with love, they agree to his reign. Just as in the children’s book, the wild rumpus begins and an eventual relationship full of love and appreciation develops between Max and his wild things. Before long, however, situations go awry and Max must confront the internal struggle he faces in finding where and among whom he truly belongs.

Similar in many aspects to the children’s book, Where the Wild Things Are paid tribute in the greatest of fashions to a story I grew up reading again and again. With elements like Max’s costume, the appearance of the wild things, and general story line kept in place, this film served as an excellent commemoration to the book. Although some aspects within the movie, such as Max’s journey to the island, differed from the original story, each facet only added to the plot and gave it an extra dimension you never would have envisioned.

While some viewers may think the film is too dark and does not fit the overall tone of the book, I think it coincided with the original story perfectly and was taken in the right direction. Although the film could be a little frightening for younger audiences, it conveyed the book’s message of finding a sense of love and belonging perfectly.  After all, when the story revolves around monsters called wild things and an unruly young boy reigning as their king, you can’t possibly expect a cookie-cutter movie full of clichés and a Disney type feel.

Where the Wild Things Are is a movie with moments so powerful, love and compassion radiates from the screen and stirs the heart of the viewer. It is a movie where a good laugh is needed and delivered by a sharp-witted wild thing and their bitingly humorous remarks.  It is a movie where feelings of sadness and grief experienced between Max and his wild things overwhelm the viewer to the point of tears.

But most importantly, it is a movie where you don’t have to be a king or a wild thing to enjoy it- all it takes a viewer willing to experience and relive the thoughts, feelings and wild impulses they were once so familiar with as a child.