Full count: Rangers lead American League through beginning of season

By Ben Cowlishaw
    Online Copy Editor

Coming off a series sweep in Minnesota, the 8-2 Rangers are wasting no time in once again laying their claim as one of the best teams in baseball. The only team across the majors outdoing Texas is the LA Dodgers, 9-1.

The Rangers have shown force in their offense, starting and relief pitching with few holes to fill.

While the bats have not altogether come back in full force, the clutch timing of base-hits and homers have led the Rangers to close pitchers-duels, rather than the typical Arlington slug-fests.

No starter in the rotation has been awarded a loss; only 6 wins and 4 no-decisions. The two losses came from blown saves by the new closer Joe Nathan, and the other two wins from the new addition to the bullpen, left-hander Robbie Ross. Every pitcher in the rotation has at least one win, Matt Harrison with two.

The Rangers rotation ties with the Mariners and Marlins for the most quality starts (six or more innings pitched with three or less earned runs), with seven. Neither has come from Yu Darvish, the Rangers $110 million off-season investment. He had a memorable first start, to say the least, when he gave up four runs in the first inning. He calmed down and ended up with the win, and had a decent second start that was won by the newest addition to the bullpen Robbie Ross. Darvish, along with Matt Harrison, are yet to give up a home run.

The Rangers have hit relatively well and at the right time, but not with the full power seen last season. Sluggers Mike Napoli and Nelson Cruz are slow out of the gate, each having just one home run apiece. On the other hand, Josh Hamilton and Ian Kinsler have come up big in the batter’s box, combining for eight home runs and 59 total bases.

It is to be seen how much longer the Rangers will remain on top of the American League, with roughly 150 games to go in this young season.