School shooting devastates small college in Oakland

By Dyer Whitt

The recent school shooting in an Oakland, California college has sparked new controversy on the topic of school shootings. On Monday, One Goh, shot and killed seven individuals in a rampage that sparked from vengeance.

The man who surrendered to police just an hour after the shooting appeared in court Wednesday before a judge who ordered him to be held without bail. The overall convictions were seven counts of murder and three counts of attempted murder.

It is unfortunate that this series of events lead to so many deaths and to me this should be a wake up call to school security and safety. Other schools shootings like Columbine and Virginia Tech have also torn our country apart, the Oakland school shooting is no different.

To me, it seems as if we need to take certain precautions to ensure the safety of our students. Although metal detectors are seen as a hassle, they can prevent armed assailants from causing harm to innocent bystanders. Police enforcement will also benefit in situations like this if officers are trained to handle gunmen on the campus.

It has been an incredibly sad week for the families of these fallen individuals and the United States alike, as a country we need to come together and find a new solution to make sure these types of tragedies never happen again.

2