Pre-teens learn importance of manners, etiquette in Cotillion

By Caroline Carter

Sophomore Lauren Cullison helps Cotillion students improve their dancing and etiquette. Photo by Jodie Woodwar

Every Friday in January and February, middle school students put on their best attire, dancing shoes and white gloves to attend the Jon D. Williams Cotillion in Coppell. Through the program, pre-teens learn the importance of proper manners and the skills needed to be successful as an adult.

Founded in 1949 by Jon and Vivian Williams, the JDW Cotillion would eventually impact over 10,000 young people nationwide. The Williams, both of who were professional ballroom dancers, saw the importance of proper etiquette in youth. Now there are over 47 different divisions of Cotillion across the country that annually holds classes.

Brought to Coppell in 1997 by Kit Whitehill, the Coppell division of the JDW Cotillion regularly serves 365 participants in grades sixth through eighth.

“We moved to Coppell from Dallas in 1993, and my oldest child was going into third grade,” Whitehill said. “We kept in contact with his friends in Dallas, and many of them started doing Jon D. Williams Cotillion in fifth grade. The program sounded great, and our friends spoke very highly of it. I considered driving my children into Dallas to attend, but felt it would be a wonderful program to have in Coppell.”

Whitehill now works at Coppell Middle School East as the In School Suspension Supervisor. After enrolling all three of her sons, who have all graduated from Coppell High School, Whitehill found the program to be extremely beneficial.

“Knowing how to make a positive first impression, having good manners and treating others with respect are necessary skills in order to be a successful adult,” Whitehill said.

One of the lessons taught by the JDW Cotillion is the importance of first impressions and manners in everyday society. With texting and social networking becoming more popular, the importance of manners is as crucial as ever.

“We never have a second chance to make a first impression,” Whitehill said. “Teaching these skills in a safe and fun environment during the pre-teen years gives students the opportunity to become confident and comfortable in social situations.”

The program, which focuses on teaching the participants the importance of proper etiquette as well as basic ballroom dancing, has impacted hundreds of students since it started. The six-week course teaches various styles of ballroom dancing including the tango, foxtrot, salsa and jitterbug. The importance of table etiquette and how to make a good first impression is also enforced.

Some of the cotillion participants choose to take their experience even further. After completing three years of the program, students have the opportunity to become student assistances. Coppell High School sophomore Lauren Cullison is currently serving her second year as an assistant.

“Being an assistant for cotillion is very rewarding,” Cullison said. “It is a great experience because we get great college recommendations and also get to meet a lot of important people.”

Cullison, along with a group of six other student assistants, works during both the sixth grade session as well as the seventh and eighth grade session. The assistants primarily demonstrate the dances and help the students if they have questions regarding footwork.

“It is really interesting to watch the kids and how they react to an unfamiliar setting,” Cullison said. “When the kids are shy, I can just say one little thing like ‘I think your dress is really pretty’ and they then just brighten up and have a boost of confidence. I think that that is one of the biggest things that Cotillion does for the kids; it helps with their self confidence and security around others.

One of the many parents to have sent their children through the Cotillion is Lisa Armstrong. Her son Luke is currently participating in the program as a seventh grader at Coppell Middle School East, and her daughter completed the program several years ago.

“It (Cotillion) has allowed him to meet new people, start conversations and reconnect with people,” Armstrong said. “I am also glad he is learning how to dance. After the end of the six weeks of cotillion, he starts to become comfortable with starting conversations with the opposite sex… I would recommend the program to any parent.”