Seeing stars: Dallas Cowboys visit Coppell Cowboys

Rebecca Neumann

Yesterday was a great day. Besides having to take the PSAT, I can’t remember having so much fun during a school day. No, it wasn’t because of the shortened periods, even though that was awesome. It was because the Cowboys, the Dallas Cowboys, were here.

I am a huge Cowboys fan, so obviously I did everything in my ability to get to see my team and it payed off. My favorites were there: Jason Witten, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Keith Brooking, DeMarcus Ware and Marion Barber, but there were so many others I recognized as well. 

As a huge fan, it was amazing to see people I had only ever watched on television or from nose-bleed seats in Texas Stadium, but it was also crazy to me how normal they looked. As fans, we tend to put the people we admire on pedestals, it doesn’t even occur to us sometimes that they are just people, like us. They joked around with each other and laughed. Their coaches made them run and stretch. Really, it was like watching any other football practice, just that the player are professionals.

One thing that I found strange was seeing the coaches actually coach. I have seen Wade Phillips and Jason Garretts talking into headsets on the sidelines and reading statements to the press, but to see them actually coaching was surreal. They were yelling and blowing whistles and and running around and pointing. It was cool to see that they do their job enthusiastically.

In the end, I had to go to seventh period before I could actually meet any of my heroes, but after thinking about it, I’m pretty sure I’d be too star-struck to say anything at all.

For more information, read: https://www.coppellstudentmedia.com/2009/10/14/dallas-cowboys-practice-at-buddy-echols-field/